Befor adding a turbo and a new injector phone what should be done?

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Adding a new turbo and Moose pump what should I do befor I install?

I'm sending my non waste gate turbo off to Russ to be rebuilt and upgrade, and I'm ordering a moose pump as well, what are some suggestions I should to befor adding the parts? I was thinking taking off the mechanic fule pump and going elec. and a new water separator, but I worrie about is Geting to the injectors after the turbo is on, whats a good injector that will not leave me broke?

Last edited:

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Most folks on the forum will say to get the BB code injectors those are the best for the cost and performance especially if adding a moose pump and if the moose pump is the high performance pump and a fresh rebuilt turbo, Im sure Russ can get the matched and pop tested set for you.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
with your turbo set-up and moose pump i would go with something like a 7.3L superduty electric lift pump,a regulator, and going with a frame mount filter set up-, one water sep and another regular fuel filter, so two filters in total. that would also get rid of the factory filter head. that is the route i want to take, since my 1 year old mech lift pump is putting out a whopping 0psi under throttle and is leaking.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The electric lift pump from a member here called genlightning is about the best diesel pump rated item on the market. Read up on them here. Many members have them and not one has posted a bad comment about them. They can be installed pumping or sucking. These are the pumps found on the big rig semi trailer refer units. You know the sets found up top in front of the trailers. They suck diesel from way back under the trailers. No electric pump is supposed to do that but these do. Once you have the moose pump and a set of Bb code injecters in your going to need to time this engine.. That may be a tuuf item to find too..

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the name of that pump? And bb injectors do thay put out more fule? And Timing how is that set? I guss I'll have to take it to my buddy for timing I hate timing even on a small block, I guss I hate it because every time I hear that word I think about Geting good jolt form a msd set up I putt race car lol. Any ways elec pump would I have to cut the fule pureser down? Or can I run around 7-10 psi? I hear the fule pressed drops a lot with the stock ones when you get on it.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump is a moose pump (link)
Read everything on the web page you will have a much better understanding
http://www.conestogadiesel.com/products.html

The link above will have the inj. you are looking for and yes some can flow more than others, icanfixall did
a vid on the diffrent inj. under a magnifin glass the "tips" are diffrent.
You do not have to do anything to reduce fuel pressure, just install the elec. fuel pump and you are good to go (its easy)
there is a article on how to install it in the tech artiles at the top of this fourm the sticky section..
The elec pumps are so much better I definetly felt a diffrence in the pick up.

"Pop" is when the injecters open, the injection pump sends high pressure pulses of fuel to the injectors, and the pressure the injection pump puts out "pops" the injector open. Very high psi I belive I have read up to 5000psi.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Our best injecter is the Delphi brand and the Bb codes are what works best for our engines. They are set to pop open at 1850 lbs. Our injection pump can build as high as 5000 lbs of fuel pressure but because the injecters are acting like 8 releif valves it will not get that high in the system. Timing these engines is easy and no chance of getting shocked.. No coils or electricity near what we handle.

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10-4 I know there is elec around it just saying you know I hate timing I think of that dam shock every time lol, so befor I put the turbo and the pump on, I prb should do the injectors then. So get bb there good what's the life time of them and the price?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The elec pump pulls from the tank, idk what psi to the ip is good to be hones with you I just check every now and again at the schrader valve to see how far it squirts mine usually make it to the ip with a good stream of fuel.

The inj. should idealy be changed when you do the ip you dont have to but you should if your ip went out chances are your inj. are on worn, the ip and injs. usually last 100k-125k. The price for the inj. are in the link I gave you $370 for a set.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can supply you with injectors, and since you are having me do the turbo, there will be a little discount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online