Auto hubs randomly engaging

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
As the title says, my auto hubs on the 94 are engaging randomly without the t-case in 2wd. I have noticed that the drivers side hub is making noise and is more likely to engage randomly, especially when turning left. Backing up does disengage the hubs until they decide to lock again.

At this point i know what i could do, which is buy new hub, preferably locking, but i rather just find a way to permanently disengage the hubs for now since i dont have the time or money to invest into 4x4 that i only use once or twice a year.

Your responses are appreciated ;Sweet

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Common problem. Best way to fix is to replace w/manuals. Have replace more than I can count. Always wondered if completely cleaning out the old grease and replacing it would fix them but never tried.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never known anyone to rebuild the autos. That is exactly what they do when they wear out.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Well, i took out the hub wiped off all the old grease and greased the crap out of everything... it seems to not be locking randomly for now.

If it becomes an issue, technically i can just pull the auto hub off and continue on my way if it were to lock up on me when i take a short trip this weekend

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, i took out the hub wiped off all the old grease and greased the crap out of everything... it seems to not be locking randomly for now.

If it becomes an issue, technically i can just pull the auto hub off and continue on my way if it were to lock up on me when i take a short trip this weekend
there won't be a problem, just cover up the hub opening.

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
I guarantee you're inner spindle bearings are gone, they hold the axle shaft straight and if they go out the axle doesn't sit straight and the inner gear on the axle, in the hub starts grinding on the outer gear and it catches and engages the hub. It might be worth looking into.they are located on the inside of the spindle you can see them when you pull it off the knuckle.

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
I guarantee you're inner spindle bearings are gone, they hold the axle shaft straight and if they go out the axle doesn't sit straight and the inner gear on the axle, in the hub starts grinding on the outer gear and it catches and engages the hub. It might be worth looking into.they are located on the inside of the spindle you can see them when you pull it off the knuckle.

;Sweet
Good point.

Although i did have the bearing off not too long ago for a brake job that required the rotors to be turned. They looked good at the time. But regardless i will give them a look.

I have checked for play in the wheel bearings and ball joints and couldnt detect any movement.