ATS uppipe sealing

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
I know I posted this in my turbo thread but I made a thread so more people might be able to see it.

Does anyone have any good methods for sealing the slip fit on the ATS uppipe? Mine has a pretty nasty leak there. I put a bead of Acousti-seal on it when I put it together the first time. Any other ways that have worked for you?

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the semi trucks that we own, I use tinfoil, to seal all the joints. I would wrap it as need most the time just a once go around and no more exhaust leak

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Hmm never thought of that. I would be worried about drive pressure pushing it out but its worth a shot! That was a poor design on ATS's part

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will work just fine when it gets hot it hold it inn because it expands, look it up on the net you'll find some more info on it

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
Thanks Ill give it a shot when I get the ambition to pull it apart

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
careful with the tin-foil. if it comes apart, the next thing it says hi to is your hot wheel on the turbo.......

I tried all kinds of sealants for my up-pipe. nothing worked. mine was just to warn out for sealants to work. How loose does your's fit? my new one was VERY tight!

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
While I was under there for my gauges I tightened the nuts on the crossover, that was most of my issue. Oops. Still leaking somewhere down there, hard to tell though.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
you could always take the thing to a welder who can weld cast and have them build up the pipe a little, then grind it down until you have a decent interference fit. Not cheap or simple, but permanant.