ATS turbo ID?

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
What years did ATS make the non wastegated ones & anyone have any exp with one of these things? No shaft play & looks sound.

You must be registered for see images attach

Any info? :confused:
Thanks~Cat

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dont know years but my buddy has one on a 88 and I just resealed and bushed it and it will pull with mine, boosts a little slower but gets the job done just as well imho. It is cheap to rebuild the turbo even when it gets some play, unless the wheels crash. buy it up. !!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 4 ATS models so far:

the 085 for 1985-1988 is none wastegated
the 088 for 1989-1993 is also none wastegated (more streamlined assembly)
the 093 is for 1993 and up
the aurora started in 2006 I think (don't quotes me on that)

The 085 and 088 both use garrett T04B turbochargers, with the 088 using a custom ATS turbine housing.

Wastegated are T3/T4 hybrids.

What you have there is an 088 system. I recognize the snail shape of the exhaust side of the turbo.

Its the same system that I have and its pretty good. I got mine so cheap I really can't complain. Check for play in the shaft. In and out is never acceptable, sideways is acceptable as long as it can't reach the housing.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
David is right I also have an 088. Good little unit, not much boost unless you get on it. Also it needs a very free flowing exhaust to perform well. I never knew what I was leaving on the table just by having the 3" exhaust from the turbo back with the cherry bomb muffler I had when I was N/A with that unit. I used to NEVER see more than 2-3 psi pulling hard now if I get on it I can hit 6+ I'm sure it could be more than that under certain conditions.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
There are 4 ATS models so far:

the 085 for 1985-1988 is none wastegated
the 088 for 1989-1993 is also none wastegated (more streamlined assembly)
the 093 is for 1993 and up
the aurora started in 2006 I think (don't quotes me on that)

The 085 and 088 both use garrett T04B turbochargers, with the 088 using a custom ATS turbine housing.

Wastegated are T3/T4 hybrids.

What you have there is an 088 system. I recognize the snail shape of the exhaust side of the turbo.

Its the same system that I have and its pretty good. I got mine so cheap I really can't complain. Check for play in the shaft. In and out is never acceptable, sideways is acceptable as long as it can't reach the housing.

Thanks for the info! It didn't have any in & out play & the wheel looked good too.

David is right I also have an 088. Good little unit, not much boost unless you get on it. Also it needs a very free flowing exhaust to perform well. I never knew what I was leaving on the table just by having the 3" exhaust from the turbo back with the cherry bomb muffler I had when I was N/A with that unit. I used to NEVER see more than 2-3 psi pulling hard now if I get on it I can hit 6+ I'm sure it could be more than that under certain conditions.

Oh the exhaust is taken care of. ;Sweet
Going to run a 3.5" straight pipe to a 5" single stack with pretty much no bends. Next to a hood stack it's as free flow as you can get.

So what's the max boost you guys have seen on one & did it help your temps driving around daily & towing?

Thanks again guys, great info.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine can hit 10 psi with the fuel now as I has I dare, but I have a boost leak in the intake side. The exhaust is 3" with adaptors for the 4" magnaflow muffler. EGTs have peaked at 950F on the pre turbo side on steep hills that I was flooring it on. Top speed on a 10% grade is 70 MPH empty (N/A was 42 MPH).

With the RPMs at about 2000 or higher and light load, the EGTs will drop very quickly after climbing a hill, much faster than turning it off or just idling. If I'm cruising along empty at 1600 RPM in overdrive (70 MPH) the EGTs will settle between 500 and 600. Climbing mild hills (5%) in 3rd gear can see EGTs stay in the 600 range up to about 5 psi of boost.

From what I can tell the older none wastegated turbos will generate less EGTs across the range, but the trade off is you have to rev the engine up more to get the boost. Don't expect more than 3 psi below 2000 RPM, and you need to be close to 3000 to see more than 10 psi.

This is what I am getting for boost out of it right now without smoke:

1500 RPM 2.5 PSI
2000 RPM 5 PSI
2500 RPM 7 PSI
3000 RPM 10 PSI

I'm hoping for a bit more on the high end once I get a proper seal on the intake snail.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Thanks Dave, nice to see someone who keeps track of these things. Hopefully I'll be getting it within the next week or 2 & will let you all know how it goes.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the 088 is only limited by the amount of fuel going to it.
por ejemplo.... I hit 10psi by 15mph.
I generally feather the pedal after that point to avoid going over 15psi, seeing how the engine is in stock form and I don't feel like tearing the engine apart until later.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I just turned my fuel back down on mine because I was having trouble keeping the boost under 12 psi under load :D

Rarely see much boost easing around town, but when towing, it really shines ;Sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
How about if you just get on it from a stop will it take off or do you have some lag? My buddy's 94 crew cab factory turbo would wheel hop off the line.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Theres going to be more lag with this turbo compared to the factory turbo IDI, but you will see more max boost with less EGTs with the 088. Ford in fact used the 093 system on the IDI turbos, but put a smaller exhaust outlet and a crushed downpipe to clear the firewall. ATS carries an upgrade (or as I call it "correction") kit to restore it to the original ATS specs.

What I noticed is that the 088 turbo will quickly spool to 5 psi under average conditions, but more boost above that can be a little on the laggy side. However, if you are running a stock pump 5 psi is plenty to get you going and once the engine winds up it will spool that sucker no problem. I would guess the spool time at the proper RPM is one second at the most with another 1 or 2 psi that slowly builds (another 1-2 seconds) once your foot is on the floor.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I donno, not sure yet. The problem is it's 1500 miles away in my buddy's garage. I'll give it a good look over & cleaning when it get's here. Should be up here within a week so we'll see.
Little dirty from sitting who knows how long in a junk yard but I think it'll clean up good. Said it came off a 92 Dually. He's going back monday morning for the valve cover & oil line.

Too bad the pyro probe is in the downpipe, I'll mount it in the crossover pipe before I install it.
Keep you all updated as progress is made. ;Sweet