arp?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would save up your money to do this project the correct way. Hold off on installing that turbo. Save about 2k and buy arp head studs, reseal entire engine, rebuild heads, and get that turbo rebuilt and you will be good. Another 3k and you can rebuild your engine from top to bottom.
If you don't have the money, forget about mods. Because once something blows, it will be very costly at the absolute wrong time. School is more important

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
let me put it this way.

right now you have what I assume to be a good running N/A engine.

what you describe is a cheap 088 ATS kit.
what we see is a grenade in your hand without a pin and a spoon.

putting that clapped out turbo on would be like putting said grenade in your mouth before it detonated.

chances are, youre going to pull the pan, (do not use a gasket, RTV only) do a bunch of work, slap that turbo on, fire it up, be excited for a few hundred miles
and then that compressor wheel is going to come apart and destroy your whole engine.

a rebuild on that turbo back to stock specs is 600 bucks.
head studs = 420$
head gaskets =100$

asking mom to borrow her car because you just grenade your engine.... not wortha dime

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.9 studs are cheaper.

Yes decomp gaskrts $300.00 bucks

Understanding and dealing with the complexities of above gaskets...mentally and financially...because now you need longer pushrods...to maintain valve train geometry....is $pendy and complex.

If you havent the cash to do normal hg You surely wont have it to do decomp hg.

A gasket set and inspection of heads is truly priceless...

If you want to run the 088 ok run it..prepare for $$pending more money to do so...or wait....studs n gaskets...send it to @typ4 for a rebuild then install it knowing your engine has been correctly managed...

JM7.3CW Eh!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey man save yourself time and money and don't do what I did in highschool, I put an 093 kit on my truck with 220k and it stuck the wastegate shut and blew both headgaskets and just about every gasket on the engine, after spending money on getting a turbo and intercooler setup and exhaust and fuel mods I had to sell my pristine 81 K5 blazer project truck just to afford to get my daily back on the road, listen to the guys here because we've all made these mistake before!

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i think ill sell the turbo kit and put a nicer wastegated one on it later. im planning on driving the truck from california to montana for collage while towing a 93 f150 short bed behind it. so i want to get my heads rebuilt so i wont have any worries while driving up there its just i will most likely not have a turbo by then and i have a t19 so it wont be much of a comfortable ride up there

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep the turbo if in good shape....you spent the $ so keep it...work harder and more to get heads done...ask machine shop if you ca dirty work off some labour costs...washing parts anything u can do.

6.9 studs are bout 225 Iirc so plan for it...beg borrow work...do what ever it takes..to do it correctly.

So what if you hq e a 4sp....I have a 5sp and usually doddle along around 90 kph maybe 55 mph....YA SLOW..but fuel isnt pouring out tail pipe at that speed.

Just go easy and gitter dun...instead of 10 hrs...plan 13 hr drive and do it in less....

We want to see you succeed.

Btw...whatcha takin in school?

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im going for a business degree and my girlfriend (who has the 93 f150) is getting something like ranch management

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its not that they arnt good, its that cheap isn't good and good isn't cheap.

we just don't want you to break your shat by trying to be a cool kid and say you got a turbo.

im out here in Oakley, have full access to a machine shop.
I could get your head cylinders rebuilt, and you can work it off.

get a spare set and send me a PM

notenuftime

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turbo's are great but you can't drive them, you have plenty of time in life to put turbo's on all types of stuff. Biggest thing is tho short cuts usually end badly, my truck has been down for the rebuild for months in the end tho the wait is worth it knowing you have a solid truck.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Esit
Wholly chitt I type slow.....

Forget this part....Then save it ( turbo)

and drive without damaging stuff so you can save up for studs and the related items to do the turbo all at once.
You will most likley never get one stud out at a time and have the engine hold a good seal.
I would hope your shop instructor will concur with this advice( at least most of it).
Now idiot has some good info for you right there.

Last edited:

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
It is good to see that you have been listening, it is something that a lot of us did not do at your age and that is why all of this advice is so valuable. Walking is not as fun as driving. At your age and capitalization, do nothing to a vehicle that starts and runs just fine every day unless you have two of them. Save your money and make plans for upgrades that agree with the content of your wallet.

Head gaskets are reasonable, as low as $43 each, or $95 for a valve grind set, but you still have to replace the intake tin, which is another $45. 6.9s are not real powerful, but they last a long time and are plenty durable. Patience is your best friend right now.

And to answer your first question, yes it is possible to change out head bolts for studs one at a time, it is just not advisable (and not necessary if you are not adding a turbo immediately). See reference to multiple vehicle insurance, above.

Good luck in your future endeavors, you have chosen wisely by asking your questions of this crowd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online