arp?

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am currently taking my motor out to replace my oil pan in my schools auto shop and i was wondering if its a good idea to put arps on without changing the gasket. i would do one at a time so the gasket cant move at all. but i dont know anything about the motor from the previous owner such as service. ive had the truck for a little bit over a year and the gasket seems OKAY but i dont have the money to buy both the gaskets and the head studs. is it a good idea? i do have a ats 088 or 085 im not quite sure which one it is. it has the rectangular air box. but the point is the motor will be seeing boost

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my opinion is.
do it all or don't do it at all.
but its just an opinion.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreeing with Brian. Do it the right way or don't bother wasting your time. These original head gaskets are far from being desired when comparing them to today's gaskets....along with the bolts. I can almost guarantee you that by adding a turbo to your engine will result in a blown head gasket if you leave everything stock. Shiny new studs are useless with 30 year old gaskets.
While heads are off, I would strongly suggest taking them to a quality machine shop for a thorough crack check & rebuild. Plan on spending around 800-1k for that. However, you will then have the peace of mind that your engine will handle that turbo well.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be lucky to pull the head and not ruin the gasket, even if you did manage to separate them perfectly it's still not a good idea to reuse a 20 something year old head gasket.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would you buy 1/2 a ******? Then dont skimp on gaskets....if doing studs...wanna do the studly thing....do it right.

Jjst saying goin half cocked and not doing it right makes as much sense as buying the bottom half of a ******....also redo oil cooler whilst its out.....

Quickly turns into bigger $$$pendier project eh...now imagine how expensive it is to go cheap on that ******....costs a lifetime more.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would have no problem with doing all the work but i am still in high school and i am 17 with a minimum wage job so money is a problem.

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and say if i didnt touch the heads at all and i never ran over 8lbs of boost do you really think id blow the gaskets?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am currently taking my motor out to replace my oil pan in my schools auto shop and i was wondering if its a good idea to put arps on without changing the gasket. i would do one at a time so the gasket cant move at all. but i dont know anything about the motor from the previous owner such as service. ive had the truck for a little bit over a year and the gasket seems OKAY but i dont have the money to buy both the gaskets and the head studs. is it a good idea? i do have a ats 088 or 085 im not quite sure which one it is. it has the rectangular air box. but the point is the motor will be seeing boost

I see that youre 20 minutes from me.
if you need any parts let me know, I have a plethora of parts for sale/barter
I also have a pretty clean 85 F250 4 wd 4 speed for sale in the affordable range of a highschool cat.
w/o engine.

if I were you, I would sell that turbo, and buy gaskets and studs.
sure you want a turbo, every kid does, even some of us bigger kids.
I could even get a valve job done on your heads for the price of labor.

get the foundation correct before you start adding on a loft!

cbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see that youre 20 minutes from me.
if you need any parts let me know, I have a plethora of parts for sale/barter
I also have a pretty clean 85 F250 4 wd 4 speed for sale in the affordable range of a highschool cat.
w/o engine.

if I were you, I would sell that turbo, and buy gaskets and studs.
sure you want a turbo, every kid does, even some of us bigger kids.
I could even get a valve job done on your heads for the price of labor.

get the foundation correct before you start adding on a loft!

i understand what you are saying but im afraid i wont get another turbo kit for the price i got this one for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle