Are rebuilt torque converters worth while?

1994Diesel

Constantly thinking
Reaction score
Well i belive that it is now time to replace my torque converter in my 94, especially due to the fact that i am going on a very long road trip soon. When traveling at 55mph i am seeing about 1900 rpm, when i turn on the hazard lights to unlock the converter it only changes by about 100 rpm.
:(
I did a search to see what is recommended for a replacement, but most recommend rather high performance high dollar TCs.

I need something cheap yet effective, i have settled with the idea of replacing my TC with a similar single disc, but it would be awesome to have a double or triple disc that bites well.

Is anyone familiar with Recon rebuilt torque converters? click on recon to see the ebay listing, they are a good price, but almost too good to be true.

thanks guys

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The old adage of you get what you pay for.... I know nothing about them but for the price I think it would almost be worth it to give them a try...

I'm with you and needing a TQ for my slush box...

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think yours is bad. If the converter was indeed slipping (thus not resulting in as large an RPM increase from slip) then the computer would be storing falt codes. At 55 MPH on flat ground, the net powertrain load is not very high and you won't see as big an RPM change as at higher cruising speeds or higher net powertrain loads.

I think some of the guys in the west and north west were recommending an oregon company that made good converters. I bought one in victoria, BC for my truck but that was a near top of the line converter for close to $750 with tax.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mine is slipping like a banana peal and is making noise with no fault codes.... me thinks the puter misses somethings....

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you think yours is bad. If the converter was indeed slipping (thus not resulting in as large an RPM increase from slip) then the computer would be storing falt codes. At 55 MPH on flat ground, the net powertrain load is not very high and you won't see as big an RPM change as at higher cruising speeds or higher net powertrain loads.
Exactly my thoughts on the subject - at 55 mph 1900 rpm locked speed with 2000-2100 rpm free speed is what I get too, and I know my converter is good cause when under load she can drop the engine speed down by some 500 rpms or so.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Mine is slipping like a banana peal and is making noise with no fault codes.... me thinks the puter misses somethings....

this is so---idi's aint got the same comp. abilitys as the new ones

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no way would I fool with used rebuilt converters, NO F WAY! steel fins get fatigue you cant rebuild that!
have plenty of examples cut open, of save a dollar here spend a few hundred later when it fubars

I buy hydraulic coupling devices new cause they are cheaper.
My last purchase was a FORD Motorsport C-6 diesel stall, still works great

Javier

Javier

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Well i belive that it is now time to replace my torque converter in my 94, especially due to the fact that i am going on a very long road trip soon. When traveling at 55mph i am seeing about 1900 rpm, when i turn on the hazard lights to unlock the converter it only changes by about 100 rpm.
:(
I did a search to see what is recommended for a replacement, but most recommend rather high performance high dollar TCs.

I need something cheap yet effective, i have settled with the idea of replacing my TC with a similar single disc, but it would be awesome to have a double or triple disc that bites well.

Is anyone familiar with Recon rebuilt torque converters? click on recon to see the ebay listing, they are a good price, but almost too good to be true.

thanks guys

To risky of a deal.
From the details, they only replace the wear parts as necessary.
A quality rebuild will replace all the wear parts. Plus beef up some of the wimpy stuff too.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

I think some of the guys in the west and north west were recommending an oregon company that made good converters. I bought one in victoria, BC for my truck but that was a near top of the line converter for close to $750 with tax.

Most of the time the converter will have failed before computer throws the slip code.:eek:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a new TC for my E4OD from AutoZone a couple of years ago for $285, it's done real well since then towing heavy and all, but I don't see it on there web site now. Might check with them in a store.

Abull78

More boost Mr. Scot
Reaction score
you can send yours off and have a custom build done, costs a few bucks BUT you can put whatever you want in it and pick your stall speed. Nothing wrong sith a stock rebuild either. Problem is it would be hard to find a place to do a stock rebuild on a stock TC, you might as well just buy a new one.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
oldbull - that's good news I was on their website and it shows one - has to be special ordered as it's not something they carry on the shelf but it's nice to know that it works just fine... as this might be something I will do....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oldbull - that's good news I was on their website and it shows one - has to be special ordered as it's not something they carry on the shelf but it's nice to know that it works just fine... as this might be something I will do....

The one I got was painted Blue, other web sites I checked at that time for a TC was painted the same color but was priced a hell of a lot more and had the same specs.