Anyone want this thing?

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sad, but I've decided to go with the stronger block. This is the 83 6.9 I was tearing into. Rotating assemble still assembled, over all in beautiful shape except for whatever happened with #1 cylinder lifter bores. All threads tapped and prepped for studs. I will gladly take pictures of whatever anyone wants too see. I don't have the heart to scrap it but it's not gonna stay here forever.

OI82

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If u scrap it carefully remove the oil squirters and save em...press in ones hard to come by

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought they were unsavable no matter what!? Damn I passed up a good 86 block back in December because it had press in jets. I was looking for a bottom up rebuild candidate. Duly noted. I would still like to see this go to some happy home.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The passed up 86 block did not come with press in cooling jets. That engine block was an early engine. Don't know how you were told it was an 86 block. Many times our early trucks will get a transplant with a different year engine. Same goes for the later trucks getting an early engine transplant. They look the same so owners call it like they see it. Its an 88 with an 83 engine or any combo you can imagine.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
The press in oil squirters are reusable, I have done it. The only problem is aiming them when reinstalling, since the template is no longer available. Take pictures and measurements before removing and there is no big issue. I think 86-87 6.9 engines had bolt in squirters.

I would love to take that block off your hands, but I am too far away.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be one heavy ass coffee table. Bet it wouldn't give when you stub your toe on it though.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has ever had a bad oil squiter and if one did get damaged would you have far worse problems? Just curious why they would need to be saved so badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@icanfixall: According to the serial number upgrade list the 86 I passed on did have press in jets. I verified the serial number in person. No matter really. I know the 6.9 I'm getting has bolt on jets. I was under the impression press in jets were a deal breaker for a rebuild candidate.

Plowmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a timeline for these motors so we can look at the changes through the years? ALL the changes?

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a copy of a copy showing the changes in the 6.9 by block serial #

Attachments

• Image (7).jpg
    Image (7).jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 189

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who has ever had a bad oil squiter and if one did get damaged would you have far worse problems? Just curious why they would need to be saved so badly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue stems from folks losing them or MACHINE SHOPS LOSING them...spare parts are good to have...is all

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
When I rebulit my engine, two of the squirters were clogged with old gasket material. That could present problems down the road, like a clogged oil cooler. These engines depend on lots of oil going all over the place.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online