83 6.9 final nail in the coffin

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@typ4 and dunk: the bores are not sloppy, just gouged and smushed in in the one area. I can certainly try a hone.

@Dieselcrawler: Yes I would absolutely consider that. I don't need a 87 6.9, I have one waiting for me for a monster build. Any later non ******* block engine would suit me well for the dump truck build.

Thanks everyone

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
@typ4 and dunk: the bores are not sloppy, just gouged and smushed in in the one area. I can certainly try a hone.

@Dieselcrawler: Yes I would absolutely consider that. I don't need a 87 6.9, I have one waiting for me for a monster build. Any later non ******* block engine would suit me well for the dump truck build.

Thanks everyone

I will look later this week and see what he has. Want to stick with 6.9 or is s 7.3 ok?

Mikey89014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in need of another block if we can figure a way to get it to vegas. I can try to repair it..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity... why go the 6.9 route for a big build? From what I've read, the head bolt size is going to be a problem. The 6.9 doesn't seem to have enough meat from my understanding to up size the holes for larger studs. From what I've read, its best to go with a 7.3 block and sleeve it down to 6.9 bores.

That being said, guys are closing in on 500whp on 7.3 blocks without sleeves.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have ARP studs for the 6.9. I base my desire for the 6.9 upon research. The greater insurance against the cavitation issue my #1 reason and the ARP studs will hold together anything I throw at this build for the dump truck. Thinking Moose Junior, typ4 cam and the first gen Banks. I in no way need 500whp even for a radical build. 300whp in a nice crew cab is fine for me. But for that, a built from the bottom up '87 6.9, removable bolt in piston cooler jets. Most importantly, no time schedule. When it's done it's done, even if it takes 2 years. This was supposed to be a chop chop balls to the wall quick refresh.

If I wanted over 500whp I'd go direct injection inline 6 DT360. Hopefully I'll be old enough to not care about the arrogant clown with the common rail Cummins around here by that time, but if not I'll gladly hand him his **** with insane Dana 80 grenading, driveshaft twisting power of a built dt360 some day. Lol. Back to reality. Nah I got nothing against a 7.3 IF built from the ground up OR if I knew for a fact the previous owner ran SCA.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem solved! 85 6.9 [emoji106]

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert