83 6.9 final nail in the coffin

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed on #1 cylinder the holes for the lifters were gouged with a nasty ring in the one and the other looks like some animal was beating on it with a hammer. The lifter catches and drags on it. The cam had a nasty gouge on it like the lifter turned sideways. Needless to say, I'm not going any further. I'm almost out of time as winter is drawing to a close and need the dump truck for spring so I must deal with the issues the current 7.3 has. If anyone wants the internals of this engine I'll be glad to pull everything and ship. As far as the block, I will personally scrap it with a smile. I can't say I wasn't warned by everyone about such a old ******* block especially one owned by a young kid. I'll be sitting on all the new parts, cam, studs, and gaskets while I acquire a newer 6.9 sometime this year. I might even just get a conversion kit and throw in that 1st gen 6bt I got in the corner. It's a dump truck anyway, can't argue with the torque. As my old man told me: "My boy, engine work is not cheap nor quick" I wholeheartedly disagreed, as this was just supposed to be a stud the block, install turbo and swap engines gig but it's just been a bad choice on my part from the start. Onward in '16 we go! Again, if anyone wants the rotating assembly of the short block let me know.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That has been sleeved and the block can be saved easily. I'm sure interested in how that happened.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on the left could most likely be filed so the whammied protruding metal don't catch the lifter. The one on the right closest to the front of the block, there is nothing to be done. It's wore into the bore. I'm clueless, almost like the lifter spun repeatedly?

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the engine must have ran dry for a short period. The way the old heads were cracked between valves, I think possibly on a 10 degree day it was started and driven flat to the floor, late for work style, turbo screaming spiked egt's. Possibly the cold to extreme heat cracked the heads, and maybe the cold oil couldn't get to where it needed and **** started flying apart? The lifter must have turned sideways and gouged the cam and maybe the locks for the lifters failed? I don't know but I'll never something ever again unless I DRIVE IT.

I realize oil pressure will be between the lifter and bore to a point but I don't know if I trust that. What can be done? Are you saying pull the internals and taking it to a machine shop for sleeving?

Last edited:

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could the hole with the ring groove wore into it be smoothed out? If so would it effect lifter performance at 3200 rpm?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Don't know. Hoping for some suggestions.

@icanfixall: do you mean "that can be" sleeved or are you saying that has been sleeved all ready?

Sorry my fat fingers and bad mind to finger coordination says one thing and I posted the other. Yes.. It CAN be sleeved. But I'm not seeing the other damage you posted bout. If you choose to save this block please have it magnafluxed correctly. Or have a mag fluorescent wash and black light it.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have no money for any machine work now and time is not on my side. This was a do or die from day one and it's not meant to be. No snowfall here in pa means no income plowing and hydroseeding is minimum 6 weeks away. Tomorrow I'm gonna call my machine shop guy and tell him cease and desist on the valve job on the heads I didn't want any part of from day one either. I'll just push everything in the corner and forget about it until May or June when I can begin again. This was a VERY good lesson and I'll never again buy anything that I can't hear run. Again, this isn't the block to play with anyway. Thanks for all the help and info everybody. I'll be around, still looking forward to a monster build one day

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The cam had a nasty gouge on it like the lifter turned sideways.
<snip>
Again, if anyone wants the rotating assembly of the short block let me know.
How bad is the gouge on the cam? Get in touch with Russ @typ4 ...depending on how bad the gouge is, if the cam can be salvaged, he can always use cores for torque cams.

Sorry about the internal damage :( it's strange that the lifter rotated, unless the keepers weren't installed or were damaged. I wonder if maybe the bushing on the roller seized and the roller stopped turning?

If the pistons are serviceable, there is a difference between the "A" engine pistons and the "B" engine pistons. Someone else with an early 6.9l might be interested. You might cross-post this in the Marketplace, with as many pictures of the serviceable parts as you can get...

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a typ4 Friday actually, and I showed Mel the gouge. He accepted the cam as a core, although was a bit unsure himself if it would be reusable. He figured the lifter turned sideways. Helluva good guy, his wife too. It wasn't until yesterday cleaning everything up immaculately to reassemble I noticed the lifter bores. Pulling the lifters out when they were covered in oil, they slid out with no drag at all.

Putting two and two together, I just realized the only thing on this engine that was not factory was the two different color silicone that was oozing out the front and back of the intake valley pan, and it certainly didn't look 31 yrs old. I believe whatever happened was "fixed" and thrown back together. Could it run and live a long happy life? Sure. But, I'm not that lucky haha.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hone those lifter bores and if they are not sloppy, run it.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
^ What he said. Really not sure what the big deal is here to scrap the engine/truck over? Yeah it's a less desirable early block but still, if it's just freshening it up to be a driver I don't see the problem from the pics posted.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I know a few engines in the area that should be good, if you want I can inquire about them. Geese auto salvage in perkasie has a few