FINALLY! Polished wheels complete.

sassyrel

Reaction score
lug pattern is 8-6.5".

unfortunately the bead seats on the rims are still corroded.

NO problem!!! when you mount the tire, before you put air to it, get some liquid rubber in a can. GOOOOD stuff!! coat the snot out of both sides of the bed surface, pump it up, sealed!!!! got a closet full...

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
i was answering you que..but i wasnt who you asked!!! just answering what you asked..

oh ok. I guess it just came off weird as you havent really been replying in complete sentences, plus I was tired from working all night long so I might have just read it wrong.

Reaction score
9AM appointment tomorrow, but then I have to bring it home and throw on the eBay center caps. The installation instructions seem to indicate I'm in for some 'fitting', but then I'll snap some pics. I washed the truck today to get her ready for her big premier!

Mike

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
NO problem!!! when you mount the tire, before you put air to it, get some liquid rubber in a can. GOOOOD stuff!! coat the snot out of both sides of the bed surface, pump it up, sealed!!!! got a closet full...

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS if you actually want your tires/wheels to last as long as possible.

If you do that you will DESTROY the bead of the tires FAST and it will also DESTROY the bead seat on the wheel. you will be better off leaving it un-coated or sending it to a wheel re-finisher and getting the wheels properly re-coated. I have taken many tires off that somebody put that liquid rubber on it and the wheel is ***** along with the tire. sometimes the stuff will stick so good that it will tear the bead of the tire when you break it down.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
another thing for the OP,

when they balance the tires/wheels, have them to a static tape balance. that uses the tape weights and puts them in the middle of the inside of the wheels. that way you have the clean look of no hammer on weights and then yo wont' ruin your polish job after that hard work. keeps the corrosion at bay as well. also, just having that single tape weight will be just fine for balance on these trucks, you won't feel it. for example, my left from tire was about 4.5oz's out of balance at one point. i didn't notice anything from it. zeroed it out and there is still no difference that i can tell.

sassyrel

Reaction score
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT DO THIS if you actually want your tires/wheels to last as long as possible.

If you do that you will DESTROY the bead of the tires FAST and it will also DESTROY the bead seat on the wheel. you will be better off leaving it un-coated or sending it to a wheel re-finisher and getting the wheels properly re-coated. I have taken many tires off that somebody put that liquid rubber on it and the wheel is ***** along with the tire. sometimes the stuff will stick so good that it will tear the bead of the tire when you break it down.

really?? your thinking,,,,,SLIME,,the green snot.. im talking,,BLACK liquid rubber in a can. i have mounted and dismounted many tires ALSO..when i worked at the service station dad had.........................................................................................many tires, had been mounted for years,,when i started to work there,,Z E R O damage had been done, to ANY rim.. remember,,i said,,LIQUID RUBBER..tell me,,does a tire,,rust and deteriorate,,a rim,,either steel or aluminum???? NO!!! and NEITHER, does liquid rubber...talk on...tell me,,does rtv,,stick a valve cover so tight to the engine,,that you have to dynamite it,,to get it off???? NO!! and neither does liquid rubber...i have NEVER!!!!! seen it RIP the bead of a tire apart.....NEVER!!! sayyyy. does recoating the rim, in whatever,,seal all the small holes where the tire will seat???? NO!! and NEITHER, will it...paint over a piece of steel,,with many pockmarks in it..does it come out dead smooth??? NO!! unless you fill all the pockmarks..same with a rim...again,,talk on.......

Last edited:
Reaction score
another thing for the OP,

when they balance the tires/wheels, have them to a static tape balance. that uses the tape weights and puts them in the middle of the inside of the wheels. that way you have the clean look of no hammer on weights and then yo wont' ruin your polish job after that hard work. keeps the corrosion at bay as well. also, just having that single tape weight will be just fine for balance on these trucks, you won't feel it. for example, my left from tire was about 4.5oz's out of balance at one point. i didn't notice anything from it. zeroed it out and there is still no difference that i can tell.

Sticky weights for sure. I'm just hoping the condition of the wheels doesn't require them to have to do anything too nutty.

Mike

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's called bead sealer.... Not liquid rubber... Says "bead sealer" on the came ... Black can , yellow letters.... $12.99 at any farm & home, rural king , tractor supply... Etc

Reaction score
So, quick update......

Wheels are on, but I'm having issues with the eBay replica center caps I ordered. Turns out they require you to use a lugnut with a smaller hex, 7/8" to be specific. My originals were 1-1/16", and it's been a 'fun' day of figuring all this out, including multiple runs to to the parts store and several rounds of putting lugs on and off.

I'm currently waiting for the parts store to order in more of the lugs I need, at which point I will button it up and snap some pics. But, as it sits right now, I'm already really pleased with the result.

I'll update the first post with this info....

Mike

sassyrel

Reaction score
It's called bead sealer.... Not liquid rubber... Says "bead sealer" on the came ... Black can , yellow letters.... $12.99 at any farm & home, rural king , tractor supply... Etc

you wanting a piece also??? on my can..it says liquid rubber....

sassyrel

Reaction score
So, quick update......

Wheels are on, but I'm having issues with the eBay replica center caps I ordered. Turns out they require you to use a lugnut with a smaller hex, 7/8" to be specific. My originals were 1-1/16", and it's been a 'fun' day of figuring all this out, including multiple runs to to the parts store and several rounds of putting lugs on and off.

I'm currently waiting for the parts store to order in more of the lugs I need, at which point I will button it up and snap some pics. But, as it sits right now, I'm already really pleased with the result.

I'll update the first post with this info....

Mike

later nuts,,were 7/8....