Anyone running 'Hurricane' mags?

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just interested to see if anyone has them. I've always liked the looks of them, and am searching to see if I can find some 8 lug 16" ones to run on the dually. Anyone that follows sled pulling close will know how I'm going to fit them.

Anyways, if you have a truck with them on, post up some pics. Or past vehicles. I know they're kind of outdated, but I still think they look nice.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Sorta running hurricanes, I believe these were called turbines back in the day.

You must be registered for see images attach

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What White_Trash has on his truck are the only "hurricane"-type wheels I'm aware of, also known as turbines. Never seen one for a dually truck tho, only singles, so how you plan on using them on the dually? (I'm not into sled-pulling, hence why I ask)

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those would be the wheels, and yes, I know they are a SRW type design. I'm going to pull the front spacers, so that the wheels butt up to the rotor like a standard SRW Dana 60. I will keep the inner wheel for the duals in the rear, then add a standard, non-centric spacer to mount the outside wheel to. Since the dually wheel is hub-centric, it will be used on the inside, and secured with the spacer, which will have lug-centric holes for mounting. Also, the Hurricanes or Turbines, are lug-centric, so I can simply use acorn style lugnuts to secure them.

I don't have any pics on the computer, but I will try to find some online to show how it works. They look pretty slick when installed.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Acorn nuts? They aren't called "mags" for nothing they take 1" shank mag lugnuts... If they took acorn nuts I'd have been running those tires a month ago and not spent $50 on nuts...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Acorn nuts? They aren't called "mags" for nothing they take 1" shank mag lugnuts... If they took acorn nuts I'd have been running those tires a month ago and not spent $50 on nuts...

I must've seen some cheap reproductions then, cuz I swear that they were chamfered to accept the acorn lug nuts. Maybe they were machined to accept them?

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I must've seen some cheap reproductions then, cuz I swear that they were chamfered to accept the acorn lug nuts. Maybe they were machined to accept them?

I've had aluminum wheels with steel inserts for tapered nuts but nothing made earlier than the 90's. I'm sure it can be done if you can find the inserts.

Mag wheels have .757" holes to fit 3/4" shanks. What you want to do will work with mag nuts so its not a big deal.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those would be the wheels, and yes, I know they are a SRW type design. I'm going to pull the front spacers, so that the wheels butt up to the rotor like a standard SRW Dana 60. I will keep the inner wheel for the duals in the rear, then add a standard, non-centric spacer to mount the outside wheel to. Since the dually wheel is hub-centric, it will be used on the inside, and secured with the spacer, which will have lug-centric holes for mounting. Also, the Hurricanes or Turbines, are lug-centric, so I can simply use acorn style lugnuts to secure them.
That sounds like a pretty sound plan, I'd love to see how it turns out when done ;Sweet One potential issue tho - are you 100% certain you got hub extenders up front? Cause apparently the dually D60 could be had with both dually-specific hubs, and SRW hubs + extenders...

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a pretty sound plan, I'd love to see how it turns out when done ;Sweet One potential issue tho - are you 100% certain you got hub extenders up front? Cause apparently the dually D60 could be had with both dually-specific hubs, and SRW hubs + extenders...

It came out of a 92 F350, and when I had the front tires off, it looked like the spacers were bolted to the hub. I'm not used to these trucks, and since this is a conversion, it's even harder to figure out what I have throughout the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online