Anybody put a roots or screw blower on an IDI

WrickM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's have a compromise for the turbo only guys, so we can all hang together.

And I don't think it has been done on an IDI yet, but could be wrong.

Small Roots or screw compressor for that fat bottom end torque,

Remote mount turbo compounding the supercharger for the top end..............

Now to find a way to weld the heads to the block so they don't blow off!

I worked for a company that did that very idea. . . well not remote mounting. but the super and turbo charging. It was a test to see if we could make a cheaper turbo kit for the already supercharged GM 3.8v6. It workd, in fact it put in some really fast times (low 10's i believe) but it just was overly complicated when working around the eaton m90 supercharger air bypass valve.

For all those talking about how turbos are better. . Well sure they are. They are simply fantastic for diesels to the point that even some of ther limitations on gas engines are overcome. Still, haven't you wanted to do anything different?

you could run a medium size blower like a Eaton M112 on an elongated intake manifold. It doesn't HAVE to be on the block, especially because you don't need to plum the bypass valve. delete your AC and run a supercharger pully in it's place. The low end would be out of this world.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Detroit has already done the tbo -blower combination. i found one in a wrecking yard.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Dont forget folks The purpose behind a blower in a 2 stroke diesel to begin with , it was needed just to get air moving in the right direction to fill the combustion chamber. When they actually wanted power out of the things, they stacked a turbo on as well. THe blower was not there for power , it was just there to transfer air, and it's power losses were figured into the design.
The place where a blower shines is when stacked on a big gas burner revving REALLY high, where scary fun things start to happen and pistons have a bad habit of thinking they can fly off into the nearest field.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
what about run a super charger and a turbo charger with the turbo blowing down the super charger, what would that do?

Hellion Turbo Systems has a twin turbo system that blows through the supercharger on the Cobra and Shelby Mustangs. On the GT500, with 32psi boost, it did like 960hp at the wheels. It's good to 1200whp.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That truck had a BDS blower on it and the truck was in the Fresno Ca area. I live about 4 miles from BDS so I took the pictures of that motor to them. They told me they didn't have anything to do with the buildup. I asked about the intake manifold. They could build me one but... A one off was going to cost between $18,000.00 to $20,000.00....:eek: The price would come down if they got more orders but geez... I found out that setup didn't do anything more than what a turbo does for our motors. Please remember the hp loss because the blower needs power to drive it is around 10%. So if you have a top fuel motor making 8000 hp you loose 800 hp right off the top... Thats about the hp of 9 non turbo idi motors.....:rotflmao:sly Yes... The blower drive setup looks great but will it push the truck down the road any better... I'm not thinking it will... Sorry to burst someones bubble....

Yup, I remember that listing several years ago. I remember the seller saying the it "didn't add much power." It has throttle plates that are not even connected to the throttle for crying out loud. IIRC, that was all show and no go.

Heath

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
when i started my scout build i bought a 6-71 off a detroit, but weas told there was no way to make it work. instead i'm going to try a twin turbo setup! ;Sweet

BTW i have the 6-71 still, anyone wanna give it a shot? first $400 takes it!

-Jon

im thinking that 6-71 would look good peeking through the hood of my chevelle :sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I remember that listing several years ago. I remember the seller saying the it "didn't add much power." It has throttle plates that are not even connected to the throttle for crying out loud. IIRC, that was all show and no go.

Heath

I always questioned if it was really functional. From what I can see the alternator is still a V-belt, and I couldn't in my mind reconcile the alignment of the pulleys in lui of a better picture.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
and stop calling it a 6-71.... thats an engine.
This is just a blower.

a 2 stroke doesn't use it just for intake air....
it also blows out the exhaust, this is called 'scavenging'
scavenging, a blower, and a power stroke every time creates the unique characteristic of the two stroke... high head temps with very low EGT's. This is why an NA Detroit Diesel will have egts of 550degrees at full power. This is also why you need to keep pretty low water temps (like 200ish max)

thus on these engines we have air boxes which lead into the cylinder:
You must be registered for see images attach

thats a 4-71 generator... the Stbd one actually, 27k hours or so on it.

Drew