anybody out there ever run retread tires?

ididieseler

Reaction score
are retreads something you guys would run or not. they are around half the price of new. just to clarify i'm talking bead to bead retreading not recapping. are they even legal as steering tires

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This is a good question. I don't know about being legal either but will be watching the answers here. Might be a legal issue on an F350 but not on a 250 but really want to know.

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do know people that run them. They will come apart like a recap will. Keep in mind they will be a harsher ride as they are a hard tread, but they will wear for a long time. Traction is also not very good due to the harder tread.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't even see why anyone would run retreads on a light duty truck. If you drive so much that tread wears out so fast that you are no worried about the age of the carcass, the cost of tires really should not be an issue.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have personally run reacaps on trucks with great success.

Personally, for me if I can get a deal on em, I'd run em. If they come in the right size for sure.

Legality would fall under your states laws independent of other laws of other states.

JM2CW

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running a set of treadwrights on the second truck now. They seem to wear like iron. I did opt for the walnut shell treatment - crushed walnut shell is blended in the tread rubber and as the tread wears down, new "sipes" are created. They seem to be about the best tires I've had for rear traction when empty. I'm approaching 30,000 miles with them on this truck and guessing 10,000 or so on the previous truck.

They appear to have a lot of life left in them and treadwrights will replace them when I get to that point.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of tread or model are you running from treadwirght and what size? I have been looking at them but I want an AT tread and was suspicious of how they wear.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What type of tread or model are you running from treadwirght and what size? I have been looking at them but I want an AT tread and was suspicious of how they wear.

The casings are Bridgestone Dueler A/T. I think the tread matches the casing. They no longer guarantee that casings match the tread style.
E series. 265/75/16

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it legal to run them on steers?

No one has been able to quote me chapetr or verse that prohibits it. My dad was a big truck diesel mechanic back in the day, I remember that they always ran ****** rubber on steers.

I'm talking about an F350 though.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My Dad would run a set of cheap *** recaps on the station wagon way back in the mid 60s. He got them for $44.00 for 4 deal. I look back at this and think what a chance he took with us.. But cost spoke louder than safety. I know I would not do what dad did... I'd sell my hands into prostitution first...:eek::angel:LOL

Last edited:

loggin350

Reaction score
I am running the treadwrights in 37x12.50 16.5, and I couldn't be happier. They are the "guard dog mt" and I have over 35k on them with another 10k left easily, over half is highway miles at 70. and have had them on my truck for almost a year and a half, on both axles. My truck is a srw 350 regular cab long bed. I was recommended these tires by 3 other friends that run them and I have recommended them to 3 guys from my platoon (all in different sizes, 4 sets were mt's, 2 were at's) not one failure in theirs or my tires to date and I think everyone I know with them will buy again. As for traction I was impressed with these, and one of my friends bought his second set and went from the guard dog to the at tread pattern and said the mt was better in every way, not just off pavement but better in both wet and dry conditions on road.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are retreads something you guys would run or not. they are around half the price of new. just to clarify i'm talking bead to bead retreading not recapping. are they even legal as steering tires
I'm not sure about trucks, but retreads or regrooved tires are illegal on the steer axles on buses. Personally, I wouldn't run them on a light-duty truck...if you have a recap come off, it's going to damage quite a bit of sheet metal, and it's really not worth the trouble.

I've run used tires before with success, but understand that that's a crapshoot...you might get lucky; you might not.

No one has been able to quote me chapetr or verse that prohibits it.
From the California Commercial Driver Handbook, 2010-2011, Section 4: Transporting Passengers Safely, page 62:

"Front tires must not be recapped, retreaded, or regrooved."

And, I just did a Google search and found this:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/administration/fmcsr/fmcsrruletext.aspx?reg=393.75

(d) No bus shall be operated with regrooved, recapped or retreaded tires on the front wheels.

(e) A regrooved tire with a load-carrying capacity equal to or greater than 2,232 kg (4,920 pounds) shall not be used on the front wheels of any truck or truck tractor.

Based on that, it looks like you can't legally run a regrooved tire on a heavy-duty truck or any bus, but it's legal for a pickup truck. With that said, IMHO it's a bad idea and I would strongly recommend against it.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked at these a bunch. My brother in law lives in the town where they are made. The price is right and I've never heard of a failure but one tire blowing a part will ruin a day pretty quick. I still might try them on my 93 though. Can't hurt rusty fenders. I always read these threads on these with interest.