Any new fuel sending unit suppliers?

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are buying sending units for a 460 equipped truck I am assuming? Wondered if that would work. The wiring plug doesn't plug in does it?
I don't recall ordering 460 specific. You're correct the diesel wiring harness uses a plug connector with only two contacts while the gas senders has a wide flat plug with more wires. I changed the plug on the diesel wiring harness to the wide flat plug so when / if future replacement is required it's plug n play. They weren't expensive, if I remember they were Spectra brand. Also changed both tsnks to plastic replacements at the same time which eliminates any possibility of future rusty tanks.

TNBrett

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, instead of unbolting the bed you usually have to grind the bolt heads off. And then sawzall the rest of it off underneath.
I had my bed off yesterday to replace shower heads and check the senders. I just can’t understand how some engineer thought those bed bolts were a good idea. Here’s how I dealt with them.
You must be registered for see images attach

I replaced them with 1/2” grade 8 bolts with washers. I would rather pull a bed any day than drop a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use regular bolts also. But technically the factory bolts have that large section or shoulder on top, so the factory guys tightening the bed bolts won't crush that thin square tubing that the bolt goes through. But I haven't had any problems with regular bolts, just be careful and don't tighten them too much.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the sending units I've had, the steel portions were good so I ordered a couple Herko FC53-D Fuel Level Senders off Ebay and was able to unsnap the old bad ones off the unit and the new ones snapped in place with no issues using my existing arms. The replacement rheostat works for both front and rear. One of the ones I rebuilt had a bad float and I found that there's plenty of places to buy new brass floats as well. Simple and cheap and a pretty quick fix (except for pulling the bed or dropping the tank).