Another tranny question

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 87 with a C6. Did they put a AOD with a idi? Or would I have to go to a ZF5 to get the overdrive? That sounds like alot of work and expence.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
AOD was a half ton small block gasser only transmission.

If you want a auto OD tranny, you'll need the E4OD witch is fully electronically controlled.

But if you want durability, go for a ZF5....

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had an AOD and a E4 and, like you said, both in 150s. Don't remember ever seeing a od until the 'stroke. Had a ZF5 and it would not die. Maybe aux. od would be cheaper than a swap. I need to look at that option.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I've had an AOD and a E4 and, like you said, both in 150s. Don't remember ever seeing a od until the 'stroke. Had a ZF5 and it would not die. Maybe aux. od would be cheaper than a swap. I need to look at that option.

Unless you find a smokin' deal, an auxillary overdrive is gonna cost almost the same as a ZF5 swap. I spent the last year researching all the options for an Overdrive for my C6-equipped '88. Every now and then, I would find a GearVendors for $800-$1300 on CL or Ebay. With a gear vendors, you need to chop your driveline, so add that to the price. I found several donor vehicles that were under $1500 that had an E4OD or a ZF5. But for how I use my truck, I ended up just swapping rear end gears to a higher set. Cost me a little less than $1,000, but that's because I had the whole axle rebuilt and upgraded to '97 specs. Turns out getting a higher top speed is not as easy as it sounds in these older trucks without a bit of money..

Last edited:

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The E40D would probably be a hassle [if even possible ] because of the electronic control. I've got 3.55 gears now. I would have to drive it alot to justify that money. Like everybody else I'm always looking for mpg.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
If your truck is 4wd, then 3.55 is the highest you can go cheaply. With a 2wd, you can go 3.31, but it takes some conversion parts. A C6 and 3.55's like you've got will still let ya do 65mph, just not real efficiently I guess.