Another (somewhat) Successful trip!

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove the old truck with my rockcrawler in tow from here in Albuquerque, through Aztec, NM and on up to Buena Vista Colorado this weekend. I went for the Southwest Four Wheel Drive Associations summer quarterly event. I ran several scenic trails as well as the infamous Carnage Canyon trail.

The old Ford pulled great most of the way, over Wolf Creek pass both ways, but developed a bit of an oil leak from the center section of the turbo on the way up. It never leaked enough to drip on the ground, but got everything on the top of the engine wet with oil, and a quite a bit was getting pumped out the compressor side and into my intercooler piping. I don't think its all CDR oil, as the intake tube the CDR is plumbed into is clean. Furthermore, I noticed a significant decrease in boost on the way home- it would BARELY make 5psi on the bigger hills. From the looks of things, my Turbo may be on the way out.

I'm considering rebuilding my current ATS 088 Turbo, but am also interested in a wastegated turbo so I can run more boost. The most I've ever seen on the current setup is about 9 PSI on a cold winter day when the air is dense. I'd like to run 10-12 PSI all the time, as I think the truck would run better and maybe keep the EGT's a little more manageable.

Does anyone know if ATS still has any of their wastegated kits available? I'll probably call them tomorrow and get blown off, but whatever kit is currently on their website with the Aurora 2000 turbo looks good, but the price sucks...

Anyway, heres a couple of pics...

Ryan

Attachments

• ford1.jpg
    ford1.jpg
    459.9 KB · Views: 17
  • ford2.jpg
    ford2.jpg
    422.4 KB · Views: 22

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yeah man, sounds like your turbo is going. Did exactly the same thing mine did, except yours hasnt gotten as bad as mine yet. Any weird noises like your downpipe was vibrating your firewall? Thats kinda what mine sounded like for a while.

I doubt they have any of the old kits available, I'm betting its all the Aurora 2000 kits. They look like real nice turbo's though.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I got pissed off and did it today. I called ATS and ordered their new Aurora 2000 wastegated turbo system for my old truck, as well as the proper intake hat that works with my intercooler setup and their turbo kit. I'm going to try to keep my cold-air intake, and forget their airbox/cdr assy with a modified valve cover for now.

If all goes well, it'll be here next week and I can install it on the weekend of the 16th.

Ryan

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That is total BA right there my friend. Kinda just jumped into that one didnt you :D . Its going to spool so fast when you get that sucker on there ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I got pissed off and did it today. I called ATS and ordered their new Aurora 2000 wastegated turbo system for my old truck, as well as the proper intake hat that works with my intercooler setup and their turbo kit. I'm going to try to keep my cold-air intake, and forget their airbox/cdr assy with a modified valve cover for now.

If all goes well, it'll be here next week and I can install it on the weekend of the 16th.

Ryan
ryan-
post pics when you get the intake hat. last I talked to them, they no longer had the ic hat in stock.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They didn't have it last time I spoke with them either- thats why I never got it when I purchased my Intercooler kit...

I'll keep you posted. The idea is that if my current 088 kit is rebuildable, I'll fix it and have a complete kit for sale to help offset the cost of this new kit...

Ryan