another IDI drinking WMO

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dbarilow said:
heck Ialways burn motor oil with mine i just get it direct from the oil pan cookoo cookoo cookoo

That's considered cheating. ;p

rthomas

Reaction score
bob ive run wmo in my work truck that has a 12 valve cummins and it seems to like it even more than my idi.

tbird- you dont need to modify anything to run a mix, allthough if you plan on doing it long term you could advance the timing a couple of deg. to compensate for the lower cetain #'s - this helps eliminate some idle smoke if you get any

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my truck has increased fuel timing i believe, nothing i did, just how i got the truck, its already hopped up, im guessing it would have an issue running some filtered WMO

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
My truck's fuel system is stock, right now. I just add premixed WMO/diesel (which is already filtered) to the tank then fill up.
John H

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Frank, if you get this perfected, I'd love to see this written up as a tech article how-to... ;Sweet
perfected? i doubt that one is possible - but i'll keep you informed as i get my crap together (more in a minute). as to the article - consider it done. PM me (or reply here) & let me know what you think is relevant & i'll get something together. pics aren't an issue & i think i can at least try to add a little to what Rob has done.

rubberfish said:
So what your doing is filtering used oil and tossing in a few gallons with each fill-up?
you understand it correctly, Bob. and if you can keep a secret, i hear that some of us aren't even filtering it :eek:

and i'm not running it straight, but i'm working my way towards 25%ish... 4 gallons per tank. unlike many others, i am not cutting the thick oil with anything - just dumping in a few gallons before i fuel up. the info i've gathered says no catastophic harm to any engine components. i comforted myself when i started this with the (already mentioned) cheap injectors IP $. at today's fuel prices, it won't take long to offset that price even if i am doing harm (i think the only harm possible would be to the fuel system, but the risk is minimal. and maybe reversible if caught soon enough).

tbirdfiend281 said:
so no one is trying this with a stock fuel system, you convert it over 1st then you can vburn the WMO
i think you misread something... i haven't changed anything other than the fact that i'm now dumping a few gallons of filtered WMO into each tank just before i fuel up. pretty sure that's the case with most of the guys running a mix (at whatever rate). Rob may be an exception in that he a has the asskicking onboard filtration/heating set-up...

and i assume your 'increased fuel timing' is simply a turned up (or hopped up) IP - so is mine - i see no reason that should preclude you from trying WMO.

WPineF said:
And any increase in MPG ?? Dave
glad you asked :D a few weeks back, i was bragging to a BOOB that by simply laying off the go pedal a bit i was up to 18.07 mpg... since then (& after my first fill-up running garbage), i'm up to 19.28 mpg ;Sweet
i will be able to get a better idea after a few more fill ups, but i'm pretty confident that mileage is up. oh yeah - since i started this, i have not been adding PS @ fillup.

now for the best part:
i called my Amsoil guy today to order up some 15w40 & filters... (has it been a year already???) anyway, we get to talking - i know that he does a lot of oil changes - long story a little less long, i not only now have a steady supply of WMO, but he says he has 2x 55 gallon drums for me - they are new & recently held the same 15w40 oil that i use ;Sweet
hopefully, we'll see how that pans out really soon.

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well guys, I have over 300 gallons of used motor oil....

cause i have a clean burn waste oil furnace in my shop! ;Sweet :Sly

That's the best way I've seen to get rid of used oil and save money!

Hey Rich, thanks for the dash trim piece, I owe ya one!

rthomas

Reaction score
i dont filter mine, but i know exactly where my wmo came from and i keep old gear oil and brake fluid separate (g.o. dosent really mix and b.f. is hell on hoses) i have a 45 gal tank that i never need to move and the bottem is covered with magnets, so the only thing that comes out of the tank with the wmo is whatever will suspend in it. i cut open my last ff and aside from black fuel it looked no different from others i cut in the past.

for those that are worried about there fuel sytem ill pass along this story- a guy that i work with was a mechanic on the pipeline in alaska in the early 70's, and most of the year they used arctic diesel wich is very dry much like jet fuel or kero. when running this fuel they had a lot of pump and inj problems, so they started mixing wmo at a 10% ratio and the problems went away. this is what sold me on trying it ;Sweet this is not a new thing by any means, it was a commen practice years ago and is still widley done in the maritime industry, in fact my buddys boss has a new 65' boat that has pumps that pump directly from the crank cases to the fuel tanks

F350camper

BOOST!
Reaction score
Ya most brake fluid is actually water based, isnt it? Thanks for the info on the FF, that's good to know.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
soulpatchfr said:
i think you misread something... i haven't changed anything other than the fact that i'm now dumping a few gallons of filtered WMO into each tank just before i fuel up. pretty sure that's the case with most of the guys running a mix (at whatever rate). Rob may be an exception in that he a has the asskicking onboard filtration/heating set-up...

and i assume your 'increased fuel timing' is simply a turned up (or hopped up) IP - so is mine - i see no reason that should preclude you from trying WMO.
QUOTE]

see thinking about how the systems are on these trucks, i would worry about fuel system components going bad like injectors clogging up and not operating right, so i figured that you maybe had a speacail fuel filter...and yes that is what i meant turned up IP, but has anyone heard any downfalls of WMO usage, cuase i know i have and i was curious to hear what others may say

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Update on my Bunker Fuel Project

alright, then.
i'm up to 3 gallons of WMO in each tank. no problems, a little smoke (ok - more than a little), stinks "like i'm burning oil" ( :rotflmao ), lower EGTs & 20.24 mpg. and she's running better than ever ;Sweet the mileage is without easing up on the go pedal - i've been running hard lately.

i was just PMing Mel this morning that i was gonna try to snap a pic of my new temporary set-up, but as fate would have it, camera batts were dead. 3 sets -cuss .
then when i got to work i got The Call: "hey man. fred says you want some used oil? i have a couple hundred gallons. come and get it."

so i guess the piece of crap $24 lever-action barrel pump i bought is going to be sidelined. i had already picked up the 2 drums & the aforementioned 'pump' & was using that method through the vac bags in the previous pic. still slow & a little less messy. 5 gallons (my last) ready to burn.

will go see the guy (& the stuff) tomorrow. hopefully it's pure WMO ;Really
down side is now i need a real pump. i'm probably going to get something from Northern tomorrow. if anyone has advice, chime in quickly!
i'll be looking at something like this (i think it can be adpted NOT to be drum mounted), or this , but i'm kind of leaning towards this pump (or one of the others like it - maybe 12v, but i have an inverter if not) and probably using this filter assembly - intended for hydraulic fluid, 10 microns, GPM looks OK.
the filters are 'bout the size of a FL1995, cheap & readily available for me & i like that.

i guess what's obvious is that i'm not sure about which pump... northern has some portable 12v or 115v $100ish pumps in the fuel transfer section.
BUT, what is the best all around value? i was going to try to fab up a circulating pump from an old boiler eventually, but i think i have to get this stuff soon, so :confused:
i think i want one pump that i can transfer, push through the filter & generally serve as my filling station... any advice is appreciated.

thanks in advance, guys.