Another hard starting thread

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has always started hard when cold (below freezing). It takes 2 to 3 cycles of the plugs if it starts at all. Plugged in for a couple hours it pops off as fast as I can turn the key.

I have all new glow plugs, and have verified that they work. The truck turns over very fast. I have great compression. The truck has new return lines/orings/olives and an electric fuel pump. I am getting fuel, because when the truck is cranking I get a lot of white smoke. I am running out of things to replace.

My pump and injectors appear to be original with 230k miles on them. Is my truck going to start better with new injectors/pump, or should I drive it to the bottom of a lake?

Thanks. Really appreciate the help on this site.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
New IP/Injectors and set timing, timing being off can really screw up your starting.

soggybottom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I've been thinking for a while now, I just need some reassuring words before dropping that kind of coin.

Thanks.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Fresh pump, timing and injectors are night and day difference. I went form hard starting to one GP cycle and a 1/4 turn on a 13* F morning.