An old friend: Build Thread.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
We hauled the truck over to my sisters house to borrow her husbands welder. There were some cracks in the floor and a small rust hole on the fire wall we wanted to patch up. Here is an issue you may encounter if you ever do a bench to bucket swap in your truck. The floor is stronger where the factory seats mount, when I put in the buckets I had to make holes in the thinner portion of the floor. I should have used some extra metal to sand which around the bolt holes because this happened around both of the rear mounting holes on the driver side. We are going back to a bench seat in this truck to avoid this happening again.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We hauled the truck over to my sisters house to borrow her husbands welder. There were some cracks in the floor and a small rust hole on the fire wall we wanted to patch up. Here is an issue you may encounter if you ever do a bench to bucket swap in your truck. The floor is stronger where the factory seats mount, when I put in the buckets I had to make holes in the thinner portion of the floor. I should have used some extra metal to sand which around the bolt holes because this happened around both of the rear mounting holes on the driver side. We are going back to a bench seat in this truck to avoid this happening again.

THANK YOU for posting photographic proof of this. Actually, IMHO this is worth its own thread, with so many people asking why they can't just bolt bucket seats into the sheet metal without doing any reinforcement...

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Man this build doesn't seem like it's getting a lot of attention.
How it coming any more pics of your progress ?
Awesome build Btw ;Sweet

Oh and one more thing. How tall are the stacks in the first picture? Thinking about going with a similar set up :sly

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying this build. Mine is at a standstill so this also helps to kick me in the Doopa to get going.

And I admit that it was good to find out about the bucket seats VS bench seats. I almost was guilty of an unbraced exchange of seats. Now I know I need to build a sub frame.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I appologize in advance for this but...

"Remember, the Scooty Puff Junior Sucks!!!!"
I'm a fan.
;Sweet

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Man this build doesn't seem like it's getting a lot of attention.
How it coming any more pics of your progress ?
Awesome build Btw ;Sweet

Oh and one more thing. How tall are the stacks in the first picture? Thinking about going with a similar set up :sly

Due to the weather and holidays the build has been going slower than anticipated but we are still committed to doing it. I'm not sure about those stacks, they are about level with the cab roof. My friend who had it last installed them.

I appologize in advance for this but...

"Remember, the Scooty Puff Junior Sucks!!!!"
I'm a fan.
;Sweet

You get it. ;Sweet That made my day. :rotflmao

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I've been meaning to say something for a while. I laughed when I saw it.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you look under the vehicle, the bench seats mounts on the floor board reinforcement rails.

when bucket seats are installed, very rarely people think about this.
ive thought about this this past weekend while doing the metal work on my 6 door project.
i cut out and saved the seatbelt mounting reinforcement plates.
now that i actually see this picture, they will not work. these plates are ment to be welded to the underside of the floor.
this same symptoms will occur if i weld them to the underside of the floor.
i will be using a piece of 3/16 plate, weld nuts in it at the desired location and then welding this piece to the top of the floor

thanks for the pic!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Wow, it's been awhile since we were able to work on this truck. My buddy ended up buying a car he used to own so we got sidetracked with that. I am going over tomorrow to begin installing the wiring harness and I believe he has most of the interior put in as well. We also got a ZF to put in instead of the 4spd, it will make the new 4:10's much more livable. I will grab some pics to share tomorrow.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking build. Not to get to far off topic, have you done anything to your blue truck lately. The blue truck is talky nice looking and am just curious. Lol

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
The interior is all in except the dash and a few odd bits. We will need to find some caps to fill in the seat belt holes that are on the OBS window surround panels though. We will continue to use the lap belts in the rear. We finally sealed the OBS windows in and bolted them down as we kind of just left them sitting in place after we test fit them last year. I also got an SMF and clutch for the 5spd swap. I'm hoping to have two solid days to work on this thing next week and get more done.

Nice looking build. Not to get to far off topic, have you done anything to your blue truck lately. The blue truck is talky nice looking and am just curious. Lol

Unfortunately, due to circumstances beyond my control I had to let my 93 go. I had a motor build planned, but my sisters 7.3 cavitated and she needed my extra motor. Then I wounded my mustang leaving me with only the truck to drive and it started acting up like I expected it would eventually. I didn't have the time or option for a rebuild so I had to just get another truck.

88 Ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that. At least you are still in the idi world. You can always get another eventually. The build is coming along nicely.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
We got the old gas tanks pulled and compared them to the diesel tanks. The fuel lines are the same size so we just replaced the lines from the motor to the switch valve since they route differently at the front. We also pulled the sending units to find that one cone was still in good shape and the other one was gone. We did the v-notch hose mod on both just in case and put them back together. We also began installing the wiring harness and figuring out where all these plugs go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Staff online