alumnium wheels??

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
im na with pump up 4 flats, mileage is within 1 mpg of stock. honestly after 2 flats up I felt no more power only more smoke. My truck hardly ever smokes. The most important thing to understand is that your right foot determines mileage.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well guys I know it's been along time since I posted on here but I got my 16x10 aluminum wheels with 33x12.5x16 mud tires and pump cranked up 2 flats with a 2.5 glass pack exhaust and stock intake (for now) and I'm getting some where In the ranges of 10-12 mpg but I'm running it pretty hard but most of the time it's only pulling it's own weight thinking about turning it up another 2 flats with cold air intake and 3" exhaust but how do I advance the timing? Just looses up the pump and turn it? Or can you loosen the gear from the pump and adjust it there? Any help would be nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are several threads on changing the timing... some with pictures too. Don't pull the pump off the gear case. Careful doing it without a meter.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright so if I was replacing the pump(which I'm debating) do I just unbolt it from the case and take it off? Isn't there like 3 bolts to take the pump off the gear too?

Drew2010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1-2 mpg going to aluminum rims??? Really? Ask the people you heard that from what they are on... I bet you will not see any noticeable difference in mpg.
These trucks are as aerodynamic as a brick, do you really think loosing a few pounds of rolling mass will make a difference on a 6000lb truck?

If you want mpg, make sure the fuel system is fresh, get a turbo, get it timed... There are many threads on this, so sit back, relax, do a search, and read till your brain bleeds.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Mel's article on pump removal is in the tech article section. Search is your friend. To be honest, a google search might be easier than a forum search. I usually have better luck that way. I always seem to get links back to this forum.

Reaction score
Well guys I know it's been along time since I posted on here but I got my 16x10 aluminum wheels with 33x12.5x16 mud tires and pump cranked up 2 flats with a 2.5 glass pack exhaust and stock intake (for now) and I'm getting some where In the ranges of 10-12 mpg but I'm running it pretty hard but most of the time it's only pulling it's own weight thinking about turning it up another 2 flats with cold air intake and 3" exhaust but how do I advance the timing? Just looses up the pump and turn it? Or can you loosen the gear from the pump and adjust it there? Any help would be nice

Seems like you're your own worst enemy if better mpg is/was your goal. Those are some wide tires! Skinnier is always better for mileage.

Mike

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aluminum rims will give you about as much of an increase in fuel mileage as driving 1/4 mph slower..... that is in theory yes it does help, but in reality I very strongly doubt you'll ever notice the difference.

There's some weight savings, yes, but not much more than 5-10 lb/wheel. Also note that it's weight closer to the center, so the net decrease in rotational inertia is going to be less than you'd think.

Then add in the fact that it's a 30 year old design, 6000+ lb and not terribly aerodynamic...... fuel economy is not the big benefit of these trucks...

Turning up the fuel will **never** increase your economy. Making it burn more efficiently will, as will making the engine run in a more economical speed/load range.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I guess I am lol I had a truck bed laid full of scrap and a 25ft trailer on the back with a '98 ford windstar on the trailer with a bad tranny I scaled into speedies auto salvage and weighed 13,040 lbs lol and I got about 9 mpg lol but that was before I turned it up and was pretty powerless lol needs a turbo

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1-2 mpg going to aluminum rims??? Really? Ask the people you heard that from what they are on... I bet you will not see any noticeable difference in mpg.
These trucks are as aerodynamic as a brick, do you really think loosing a few pounds of rolling mass will make a difference on a 6000lb truck?

If you want mpg, make sure the fuel system is fresh, get a turbo, get it timed... There are many threads on this, so sit back, relax, do a search, and read till your brain bleeds.

he has oversize tires on the wheels on the truck also, doing that can also help fuel mileage, not so much with city driving but on highway mileage it does, i got 1 to 2 more miles per gallon when i put my 35s on my truck, on the highway that is, city driving it went down a little

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alittle off topic but is your speedo off with 35's on your truck? Ik mine is off alittle at 55 and a lot at 70 lol but I only have 33's

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes mine is off im thinking around 5mph, give or take a few, in Michigan everyone seems to speed, guess there all in a hurry i dont know why but when my speedo says 65 they pass me slowly so i think im doing around 70, most people do about 75 to 80, haven't been pulled over yet and passed many police officers so might not be that bad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel