alumnium wheels??

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys im getting aluminum wheels for my truck and i heard somewhere they increase mpgs because they are lighter? is there any truth to this? like 1.5 to 2 mpgs better?

Reaction score
Anytime you can reduce rotational mass, you're going to benefit. But 2 MPG better? Seems a bit optimistic.

Mike

fordf350man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as said above they will help with fuel mileage, but i dont know how much get em on and let us know

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the interest of the scientific method, change one thing at a time so you can know what does what. Oh, and share with us when you find out!

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Anytime you reduce unsprung weight, you also get better handling characteristics. May not apply to some of our trucks, but something to think about, in case you go to a slalom. Not sure how much weight, if any, is saved by the change from steel to aluminum wheels. I'll try weighing some and will post the results here.

Reaction score
I've got a set of OBS Alcoas that I'm looking to throw on at the end of the week. I'll weigh 'em out and post up as well.

Mike

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my dually alcoas felt lighter with a tire on it then the steel wheels with out a tire. im pretty sure my alcoas alone only weighted like 19lb with out a tire.

DragRag

Reaction score
Turning up the pump is not going to give you any better mileage, ever, period. Now, advancing the timing could, especially if your running your timing a bit on the retarded side, which most trucks seems to be, especially after the pump has been in place for a while, and worn. Increasing two flats will only increase fuel flow. Set the timing on it, I like about 9.5 btd. The wheels should help a touch, u might get .25 mpg out of them. Advancing the timing to 9+ will help you out more. Stay below 10 degrees though.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
thanks guys but i am wondering will it kill my mpgs by turning the pump up 2 flats?

Turning your pump up 2 flats will allow your FOOT to kill the mileage. That's kind of how it works. I hope you have a pyro as well, n/a engines get hot real fast with some extra fuel.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Long term with no Turbo yea you will loose MPG. You will constantly be searching for a sweet spot that will still pull a load but not burn up your pistons. Plus at first you will be excited and hot rodding around

Your eye will be on the exhaust or egt gauge. If you have free flowing exhaust and intake its not so bad. Stock exhaust really puts a damper on turning up N/A engines

DragRag

Reaction score
As stated turning up the pump will result in a net loss in mpg's. Advance/set the timing, install pyro, and then turn up the pump IN THAT order. Your going to be wanting a turbo.....