Aluminum injector caps

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The o rings still provide the primary seal, the copper washer compresses and merely holds the cap stationary while allowing the flared lines to maintain their tension.The tension prevents the o-rings from failing prematurely due to a cap getting moved while working on other things around them.

I understand what you're getting at, I just think trying to get just the right amount of tension to compress the washer and seal the flare at the same time is asking a lot. I feel like you would end up with some caps being loose and others being too right to allow the flare to seat. You could always have an assortment of different thickness washers, but to me it seems like too much effort to get the perfect combo.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The attachment doesn't work for me.

Edited to Add: The ebay link works though.

In my experience, flared lines have never been finicky for me. I doubt using them to hold the caps in place would cause any issues.

I've seen issues with it quite a few times actually. I like your thought process, I'm just trying to share my opinion from experience.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Copper compresses rather easily. I think you're underestimating the flare fittings.

Either way, I haven't seen much in the way of better ideas, and this one could be tested, if only some caps were made.

All of the issues I've ever seen with flare fittings was with damaged flares.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really should be no reason to put something on top of the cap to hold it down with the injector line. There is enough material in the cap that the o ring will or should seal even if you are moving it around. I put the aluminum caps on my dads truck and while i had it running I was moving them up and down and turning them and they all keps there seal and are not leaking.

cheap bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that sums it up for me. Put me down for a set. I would need the kit for the turbo model. 3 port cap design. Thank you

0 Xero 0

Reaction score
So do I. Using one connection to seal 2 places is a risky job. I'm throwing out things to think about. I have never worked of other diesel fuel return systems so I'm wondering how they create a seal with steel return caps and lines from injecter to injecter...

On systems like on Cummins engines, you have banjo bolts that go into the fuel line fittings for each injector. On all the newer engines they use banjo bolts on the ECMs and for the high pressure pump as well. There are steel washers with a rubber polymer in the center that are used to seal the fittings. There's one on the outside and inside of the fitting.

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/yhst-53911804814713/bd-diesel-banjo-bolt-upgrade-kit-14.gif

It would be great if the IDIs had this system, because the seals are cheap and rarely fail.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be great if the IDIs had this system, because the seals are cheap and rarely fail.

So are the O'rings, and they rarely fail also, if the job has been correctly.

Ford should have hired us about thirty years ago............we wouldn't have the problems we do today

I worked for Ford 30 yrs ago. They didn't consult me. Actually they didn't consult me on anything, so I retired in 87.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Here is some of the measurements and pic with measurements on injector and o'ring, caps in lower left corner.

I measured six (6) different injectors, 2 were made in Italy, other 4 by Delphi.

All measurements were within a half thousandth between the six. That's holding really close tolorance.

All measurements were taken with a Digital Caliper. Some measurements where + 0.0005, discarded that.

The Old cap, still with Gray paint on it yet from a 1990 IH.

New Cap was made in Germany, with IH part # 180557 I think.

You can see the O'ring groove depth is not alike, the bottom groove Od is .459 and top groove is .432, so actually there is a stretch of the bottom O'ring of .027.

I could lay a ring flat and then try to pick it up with the cap over it, some caps, would some wouldn't, that was out of 4 old would and 4 new wouldn't.

Draw your own conclusions from this. No the caps are NOT to scale.LOL

Attachments

• DVC01811.JPG
    DVC01811.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 94