Aluminum injector caps

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He did a good job, and the caps look great, but with some minor tweaks, the system could be made much more reliable.

Just because his set of caps works great for many miles in his situation doesn't mean it will do so on my truck. I'd like if someone actually solved the issues rather than band aiding what we've got.

And make no mistake, the aluminum caps of original design, no matter how much better quality they are, are a band aid.

There is still the multiple rubber hoses giving multiple failure points, there is still the mobile cap issue.

The OP did a great job, why not make it better?

Smokininmo

Reaction score
I personally never meant to clutter. I like the aluminum caps have said so from the start of this thread. I would love to have a set. Other posters ( who I have to assume have had more experience than me with the leak issues) mentioned that they didn't think the caps where the entire problem. I mentioned what I thought might be a viable and cost effective solution. I viewed this as a more round table discussion where we were throwing ideas out there to improve the design. This is similar to how many products are developed. Discussion and people sharing ideas. I still like the idea of aluminum caps and think they are much better than plastic. We were only questioning the OP who is a machinist about the viability of different options and their cost effectiveness. I would love to see a total solution kit for sale and as someone who has started businesses before i understand the need to be able to produce a product at a price that will encourage people to buy it. Im not a machinist and so my comments on this thread where more throwing out ideas and questions to the original poster who is not only a professional but someone with good ideas himself. I would like to see him succeed with his endeavors weather that be to make a few caps and sell them or to start a company.
Sometimes a few ideas and suggestions coupled with the knowledge to bring them to life can make great things. I think i can speak for everyone who posted ideas here when I say we were trying to contribute to the cause not hinder it.
Ok I'm done ranting ,carry on.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I think these aluminum caps are the best idea here in a long time. No matter how much we improve the return line system we will continue to have a need for rubber hoses on it. So reducing the number of hoses between each cap is another idea I have to improve this new idea of aluminum caps. But thats going to requir changing the material to something thats easily welded. So if the caps were brass or simple carbon steel and the rubber hose between the caps was of same material as the caps and weled to the caps. Maybe thats an end to this retuen line issues of leaks. The tubes between the caps could be made with a bend in them so they can be easily fitted to an injecter but. All of them will need to come off at one time to replace the o rings. and those I see no way of doing away with. A complete redesign on the injecter under the cap would have to be made. Maybe a bevel seat under the cap and then the line nut forcing that down on the injecters new return seat or a copper washers seal under the cap. Lots of ideas floating around bout this.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe you need to redesign tbe injector. As ive said before, theres enough of a shelf that you could likely lengthen the cap a bit, and use a copper washer on the bottom of the cap against the injector. This woud br more to hold the cap stationary rather than seal. I think the high quality rigid aluminum caps would go far to solve the issues with the caps and o rings.

There may be enough of a shelf on too of the injector to use a copper sealing washer there as well, which coud actually seal in addition t the o rings. Havent measured to see if thats viable yet though.

The point being, the cap issue is fixable, and were i in position of thr tooling id maje and test them myself, but i dont, so i can only propose ideas.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont believe you need to redesign tbe injector. As ive said before, theres enough of a shelf that you could likely lengthen the cap a bit, and use a copper washer on the bottom of the cap against the injector. This woud br more to hold the cap stationary rather than seal. I think the high quality rigid aluminum caps would go far to solve the issues with the caps and o rings.

There may be enough of a shelf on too of the injector to use a copper sealing washer there as well, which coud actually seal in addition t the o rings. Havent measured to see if thats viable yet though.

The point being, the cap issue is fixable, and were i in position of thr tooling id maje and test them myself, but i dont, so i can only propose ideas.

If you're counting on the nut on the end of the injection line to sandwich the return cap against the shelf on the injector it'll never work out right. The injection line nut needs to put the proper amount of pressure against the flared end on the injection line and seat it into the injector taper. If you make the return cap tall enough to put pressure on the line nut you won't have enough pressure on the flare to seal the high pressure from the pump. Plus there would be no standard height since some flares are seated deeper then others if they've been over tightened or loosened and tightened a bunch of times.

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I disagree with both of you. Copper washers seal by compression. You only need a few thousandths to keep them stationary.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So do I. Using one connection to seal 2 places is a risky job. I'm throwing out things to think about. I have never worked of other diesel fuel return systems so I'm wondering how they create a seal with steel return caps and lines from injecter to injecter...

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're missing the point. The o rings still provide the primary seal, the copper washer compresses and merely holds the cap stationary while allowing the flared lines to maintain their tension.The tension prevents the o-rings from failing prematurely due to a cap getting moved while working on other things around them.

Ugly Moosling

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So do I. Using one connection to seal 2 places is a risky job. I'm throwing out things to think about. I have never worked of other diesel fuel return systems so I'm wondering how they create a seal with steel return caps and lines from injecter to injecter...

You must be registered for see images attach

In this picture the black band is where the steel return line would go. The nut above that sandwiches it to the injector body with a copper or aluminum washer. The injector line then has room to tighten down above the return system without touching it, giving it the ability to properly seat on the taper.

If the pic doesn't work try this link.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261302370593

Last edited:

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The attachment doesn't work for me.

Edited to Add: The ebay link works though.

In my experience, flared lines have never been finicky for me. I doubt using them to hold the caps in place would cause any issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online