Aluminum injector caps

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might get into trouble with tolerances. I don't know how tight the tolerances are on locating the injectors in the heads. Would take much to screw up a o-ring seal. Then if the injectors aren't all perfectly concentric to the threaded holes that will add into the tolerances too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you might get into trouble with tolerances. I don't know how tight the tolerances are on locating the injectors in the heads. Would take much to screw up a o-ring seal. Then if the injectors aren't all perfectly concentric to the threaded holes that will add into the tolerances too.

It would be interesting to see a print or the tolerances on the injector spacings on these engines.

Every time I see that truck pic avatar ( i think that right) I think its my old plow truck I sold about 2 years ago.

Smokininmo

Reaction score

I have thought about the tolerances as well........With a little bevel on the bottom of each injector hole it should keep from ruining injectors orings unless they are WAY different. And We might not be thinking on the same page with the threaded holes. My thoughts are to have the cups that cover each injector milled smooth on the inside. Then a hole drilled from end to end through the bar for fuel to flow between the cups. The ends of the lengthwise hole would be the only ones threaded to allow the attachment of fuel hose going to the pump and filter and so forth.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is a VERY crude cutaway drawing of what I was thinking. It's almost as good as cad......I think............Let me know if you can see the attachment.

Last edited:

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are trying to give ADV a Migrain Headache,:dunno trying to make a one piece manifold. It would take a special length drill, about 18" long by 3/16" diameter. Look at an injector, there is very little room for error (drill leading off). If IIRC, the squeeze on an O'ring is 0.0010 to seal. My thoughts for a good seal, is to use a good lube like Vasoline, not only on the rings, but inside of the cap also and Viton O'rings and a good twist of the cap when pushing down to seat. The top O'ring is very close to the top end of the injector, any fuel/air leak would come from there.

Edit: In case you don't know, you have to install the top o-ring, then roll the bottom o-ring over it.

Attachments

• Injector[1].jpg
    Injector[1].jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manifold could be made by making caps and welding good sized tubes between them and putting a fitting on the ends for the rubber lines...just take a junk head junk injectors and add caps and weld in tubes...now installing said manifold over 8 Orings that's an entirely different proposition LOL

Kind of like a fuel rail on a EFI truck/car with multi port injection.

JM2CW...

Smokininmo

Reaction score
If you look at the factory caps It doesn't matter where the return line contacts the injector cup. There is a sealing surface at each Oring and a small channel between them for fuel to get to the hose fittings. So that really isn't the critical measurement. Your biggest tolerance problem would not really be the injectors themselves but the position of the injectors in the head. And I'm not worried about giving him a headache lol If he can make the one piece cups this should not even be work by comparison.

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this solid manifold vs individual caps. If you have individual caps and one starts to leak you only have 2 o-rings do deal with, if they are all in a manifold you have to pull the whole think and deal with 8 o-rings.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to see a print or the tolerances on the injector spacings on these engines.

Every time I see that truck pic avatar ( i think that right) I think its my old plow truck I sold about 2 years ago.

My truck spent all its life in northern VA and Md as far as I can tell from carfax. It currently resides all over my garage, shed and basement.

:D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about this solid manifold vs individual caps. If you have individual caps and one starts to leak you only have 2 o-rings do deal with, if they are all in a manifold you have to pull the whole think and deal with 8 o-rings.

I'm with you here. I could get behind an injector mounted bracket assembly thing that wouldn't be bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online