Aluminum injector caps

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, when it comes right down to it, you do not NEED anything other than the standard double barb inline. There is no required routing, and you can in fact, route however you would like. As long as each injector can return fuel to the tank, the hoses can go wherever the heck you want them to, and a dead end cap can be simulated with a rubber plug and a clamp, and T's in the line can be done with standard plastic barbed T's and not fancy 3 barbed return line caps. Call me a spoil sport, but spending more time CNC'ing fancy variations is not needed, unless you just really enjoy doing that!

This is the part of my job that I really enjoy! I like looking at things and seeing how I can improve them and or make something work better. I also like the challenge. Most of what i do at work is look at the print and make the part put it on the skid and move on to the next part, but when I make things for my self I get to engineer it figure it all out then I actually get to put it together test it out and see how it works. Some times good some times not so good but when you make something and it works out well its a very gratifying feeling knowing that I made that.

If you think this little project is over kill you should see some of the other stuff I have made.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
I like the aluminum over plastic, but it seems like a lot of work to hog out all that material. Ever thought of getting castings made so you don't have to spend so much time whittling stuff down?

Smokininmo

Reaction score
I'm definitely interested in a set. As badass as the an fittings would be i say K.I.S.S. and just stay with the hose barbs you are making. Get me A Price!!

Smokininmo

Reaction score
And BTW your gonna need to Lift that thing to Clear 37X12.50s I'll be putting a set on soon with the Beadlocks so Ill Inform on what it takes to make it happen.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I dont believe that anything done to the hose barbs will fix the prolem with our return lines. The problem seems to be that the caps are able to move around on the o-rings freely. This makes for a tenuous seal.

Until we figure out how to install the caps and keep them stationary, the caps will continue to be an issue.

another option with AN threaded fittings is the availability of cheap pre-bent hard lines
it would be easy to replace manifold bolts and/or valve cover bolts with studs and add line brackets to hold the lines

Smokininmo

Reaction score
Wow guys you are really overthinking this. The problem (as stated earlier in this thread) is not the design of the caps but the quality. You have the fix it is this simple aluminum cap that is machined to fit correctly and not allow air to pass by the o rings. Now instead of trying to make this into an unaffordable nightmare we need to focus on how to get them into production affordably.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Wow guys you are really overthinking this. The problem (as stated earlier in this thread) is not the design of the caps but the quality. You have the fix it is this simple aluminum cap that is machined to fit correctly and not allow air to pass by the o rings. Now instead of trying to make this into an unaffordable nightmare we need to focus on how to get them into production affordably.

easy there, eliminate the barb, make the walls extra thick, and tap a single hole in each one for FPT

thx997303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unaffordable nightmare? Merely making the caps stationary would solve about 90% of return line leaks.

My caps seal, right until the cap gets moved, then they leak. A different designed cap, that seals with crush washers on the existing shelves on the injector, tensioned by the fuel line would IMO eliminate the problems with the return lines.

Otherwise, you could just add a spacer to the top so the fuel line holds the cap stationary.

I do not believe the problem is the cap's quality as much as those dang things move all over everywhere. These o-rings aren't meant to seal moving objects. They aren't a shaft seal.

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see hard lines between the caps on each head with rubber line connecting them to the return. I also think the stock barbs are too short.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
Ok here is a thought why not just make a solid manifold for each side? Just a solid square bar of aluminum bore the holes for each injector and then line bore for fuel flow with a female npt at each end. Solves the hose problem and the moving problem and the having 1000 fittings to put it together problem. Thoughts?

Smokininmo

Reaction score
That would take you from approx 66 Potential leak points(on the original style system) to approx 22. And IMO Would take worlds less setup time for the machinist. Even though you would have more material cost you have way less labor to bore a total of five holes. I'm not a machinist though so I may be totally wrong about that.

Last edited:

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is interesting seeing everyone ideas on this. Could a solid manifold be made, I would think so as long as you know the exact measurements between the injectors.

Smokininmo

Reaction score
Adv do you think it would help production time/costs if it where possible to use a manifold? I would think the hardest thing would be boring from end to end for the fuel flow. What do you think? And also i would be willing to be a guenie pig for testing if you will build it i would pay for the aluminum and do an install with photos then see how it works..........just thinking out loud.......

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
If there tall enough a drill and reamer would do wonders.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: