air ride questions

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
has anyone put an air ride kit on one of these idi's? I want to do a slight lift on my truck but I cant get anything over 3 inches or my fiance wont be able to get in it at all (she has to jump now and I need to build some side steps and grab handles to make it easier for her)

Im thinking if I could get an air suspension that would go from stock (or an inch or two over it) to maybe six inches over stock (with an added one two or three in springs) then I could fit 35's or 37's and michelle can still get in and out of it.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you must be thinking the kits they use on the lowriders.
they kinda defeat the purpose of why we have heavy duty trucks.
Kelderman air ride kits for our trucks, brings the height back to "level" and the second goal is to soften the jarring ride our suspensions dish out.
If you compare the two, the lowrider kits use airsprings about 1/4 the size of what the Kelderman kits use.
you got a 4x4....adding a leaf to the spring packs should get your your 2" lift.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
it wouldn't make financial sense to put it in for just a few inches higher than stock. when i had my ranger, i spent 3,000 on my kit, and i put it together myself. buy them if you want the truck to be on the ground, or for load assist in the rear. if your already planning on having steps and handles, lift the truck with springs, and get bigger steps.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only put air bags on the rear of my dually. They are good for load-leveling and adding carrying capacity. I think you need to think about why you are doing this. It sounds like you want spacers for lift, not additional suspension components that will affect your ride and performance characteristics. I've also heard somewhere here on this forum that it is illegal to put spacer blocks in the front because of the windup that can happen during breaking. This can cause the axle to roll off its mounts and cause an accident.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can find the air springs on eBay. I believe they are also used in industrial applications because I saw a few when I was in the surplus bearing business.

You will find that when riding on air the ride can get "bouncy" and you need stiffer or more shocks. I've lifted several trucks using air shocks and air bags and that has always been the result.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
I want the adjustability of the air springs and I also want the added load capacity. I dont want to lower my truck at all. I personally think that is a waste of a perfectly good truck. I want to run bigger tires for ground clearance and more grip in the dirt. I plan on using my truck as a recovery vehicle part of the time. here in beaverton there isnt any offroad needed but out in the hills outside of town I could use it to get "out aways" when I find trucks "abandoned" by the last owner, that and a lot of the guys I work with are into 4 wheelers and sand rail.

I was just wondering if I could use air bags for the lift instead of lift springs thereby allowing me to set the truck on the bigger tires for easier entry and egress of my fiance. I would be fine lifting it 6 inches or so with bigger tires but she wouldnt be able to ride with me at all, that isnt an option. She has been greatly helpful in me getting, keeping, and upgrading the truck so far and has every intention of keeping it and possibly getting me a newer one when we can afford it (this is the smallest my fleet has every been. I have never owned just one vehicle)

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you going to to bag the front too or just the back? why so much lift for 35-37's? i have 38.5's and only lifted about 3" in the front and stock 4wd hieght in the back, but i did move the front axle fw about 2". i would expuct that if you do the front and rear, linked on bags that it will cost you well into 3-4k to do it right and still be able to hall as much as you do now. mine will be getting linked and bagged next summer.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
i did it. here are some pics. i also 4-linked at the same time. need more pics, just ask
chris

Attachments

• MVC-015S.JPG
    MVC-015S.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 14
  • MVC-017S.JPG
    MVC-017S.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 16
  • MVC-019S.JPG
    MVC-019S.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 21
  • MVC-020S.JPG
    MVC-020S.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 22
  • MVC-023S.JPG
    MVC-023S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 20
  • MVC-022S.JPG
    MVC-022S.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 18
  • MVC-018S.JPG
    MVC-018S.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 20

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i did it. here are some pics. i also 4-linked at the same time. need more pics, just ask
chris

Did you cobble that up yourself or is that a kit?
If that's a kit, do tell where you got it. That's one sweet setup.

All of the kits for full air suspension I've seen so far won't work with the Western Hauler bed on my truck, your setup has nothing that would interfere ;Sweet

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
has anyone put an air ride kit on one of these idi's? I want to do a slight lift on my truck but I cant get anything over 3 inches or my fiance wont be able to get in it at all (she has to jump now and I need to build some side steps and grab handles to make it easier for her)

Im thinking if I could get an air suspension that would go from stock (or an inch or two over it) to maybe six inches over stock (with an added one two or three in springs) then I could fit 35's or 37's and michelle can still get in and out of it.

Any thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

I don't think you'll need any lift for 35s on your year F350. I have air bags on the rear of my truck and I love them. It lifts the truck a couple inches or so, which makes it perfect when I have my camper on or a load of mulch. When I air them down they are quite bearable when my truck is unloaded. I put an add-a-leaf on the front but I've often wondered if air bags in front and rear wouldn't be the way to go. I have often thought about putting hoops and/or grab bars on my truck, which would make gettting in and out pretty easy for your better half.

I'm just up in Vancouver and I have a really good buddy down in Sherwood so I am down there all the time. If you ever want to see how mine adjust/ride/etc, just give me a shout.

Good luck no matter what you choose.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
For getting in and out with ease for a short person, you might want to try a set of running boards. My truck is stock height ( well, about a 1" body lift ), but I have three young'uns that can scramble in and out of the thing regularly without too much trouble ( smallest one is only 3) and I'm half crippled, those running boards really do make it easy to get in and out. I personally wouldn't be able to get in the thing without them. A step would be a little much for me to navigate.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
Chris,
What kind of tires are those? They look pretty nice. Details?

the tires are 33.5 goodyear load range F. 19.5 wheels. got them all from rickson truck wheels http://www.ricksontruck.com/

Did you cobble that up yourself or is that a kit?
If that's a kit, do tell where you got it. That's one sweet setup.

All of the kits for full air suspension I've seen so far won't work with the Western Hauler bed on my truck, your setup has nothing that would interfere ;Sweet

thats are double edged question. yes and no. the company i used was aim industries, but they had never made a kit for my year of truck. email back and forth for dimensional stuff, check numbers twice, still had to weld everything together, and custom fit every piece with a grinder. if i had to do it again i would call http://www.suicidedoors.com/, or http://www.keldermanairride.com/lift-kits/products/info.php?product=99FRDLIFT4
not that is for my year of truck, i just like there set up better
chris

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
As luck would have it we got a truck in with air ride today and I got to look it over and talk to one of the techs (it is his younger brothers truck) and he said it is bouncy as hell and he would put a regular suspension lift in it, and put step bars on it. Im looking at all the options, it wont be any time soon anyway, Im just trying to get some info together and see which direction I want to go in.

diesel4me2 how does yours ride?

supervert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As luck would have it we got a truck in with air ride today and I got to look it over and talk to one of the techs (it is his younger brothers truck) and he said it is bouncy as hell and he would put a regular suspension lift in it, and put step bars on it. Im looking at all the options, it wont be any time soon anyway, Im just trying to get some info together and see which direction I want to go in.

diesel4me2 how does yours ride?

somthings wrong if its bouncy as hell, all of the ones that i have done all ride way better than stock. what was it that was bagged and what bags were in it? did it have shocks on it? some of those mini truck dudes dont use shocks so they bounce faster.