air intrusion

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
Okay, I installed the new IP and one of the fittings that the hard lines hook to is dripping. CLS II leak for those who understand military jargon drip...drip...drip, about every 7-10 seconds. The truck will run fine all day and fire right off in a second or two of cranking. But when it sits for more than 2 hrs, it turns into a real PITA to start. No white smoke at the pipe, and it'll take about 5-7 minutes to fire up. I am 90% sure that the fitting is causing this but I would like ya'lls opinions. And are there any o-rings behind those fittings? I have my old pump with the good fittings and Im thinking about swapping the bad fitting w/ the one off of the old pump. Am I on the right track or am I over thinking this? Before my old pump crapped out, the truck would fire off within mere seconds of cranking, even when it was 10 or so degrees outside and sitting not plugged in. WIERD.

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
Now from trying to crank the engine to life, the batteries are toast. Gonna have to have a buddy come over with his dodge for the extra battery oomf.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Please explain where this fitting that leaks is located. Is it the pump fittin where the hard lines connect to or is this the fuel supply line to the pump from the fuel filter head. If its the tiny fitting on the injection pump head where the hard lines connect that has about 60 ft lbs of torque holding it to the pump head. The hard lines torque is much less than that.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to replace your olives. The fuel input line on the center of the head has one. If it's leaking it will run back and look like the adapter is leaking. Also, the adapter (the input has a reducer fitting that the input line screws onto. That's the one that needs the "60 ft/lbs" that Gary mentioned) does have an oring behind it. Altho if you've just replaced the IP, and THAT fitting is leaking. I think you need to take it back and have a word with your rebuilder.

Replace the olives first (type4 has them) and see what happens.

gandalf

Reaction score
If you problem is indeed a leaking olive you should read a posting from about a week ago.

Leaking Olives

They're easy to replace.

A word of caution here, since you apparently wore your batteries down cranking. Don't crank your engine more than about 20 seconds without letting the starter cool for a couple minutes. That starter is working hard to turn over these high compression engines, and gets quite hot. It's easy to burn up a starter.

bigtex

trial and error
Reaction score
I did change out the olives on the main fuel feed line and did the injector seal kit. The fitting I'm speaking of are the ones that are on the back of the pump. Turns out one of those fittings had a small crack in it, found that with my finger over one end and an air chuck in the other. The pump doesn't leak anymore and the truck fires off without any issues. With all the cranking, the starter is on its last legs and will take a dump shortly. i know what I did was dumb and should have known better:rolleyes:. Good thing I have a spare. I know some of the posts are redundant but I'm doing this mainly for documentation and anybody else that needs to reference something. On another note, its amazing how simple these engines are and how the smallest problem can throw even the best mechanic for a loop. But I love my truck and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle