Air intrusion ????

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have checked all the notorious locations for air intrusion anjd came up empty. Today I was going over my engine with the proverbial "fine toothed comb" and discovered an intrusion source I have never thought of. My glow plug on the #6 has a little puddle of diesel fuel around it. There are air bubble coming up around the glow plug while the engine is running. Is there a way to fix this? Really need to get this fixed to help my A.M. hard starts.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Remove your glow plug and make sure the area it seats on as clean as you can get it. Also make sure the gp is clean, or try a spare one if you have it. The injector cap is the plastic piece on top of the injector that the return lines attatch to. Often times the o rings inside of them dry out and leak, or the caps are not properly seated. Check visually to see if the injector is wet on top while or shortly after running.

If you are unaware of the injector caps I don't see how you could have checked everywhere for an air intrusion, as that is a likely location.

I had an air intrusion problem caused by the hard line that feed the IP being loose on both end. I had to crank that think down as much as possible.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know what the injector caps are. Never saw any fuel leaks around them. Never even saw the puddle of iesel fuel around #6 gp until today. I do not see any fuel leaking/dripping from this are while running. Just got home from the dump. I will go out there and see if I can see it now that I just recently cut it off.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I woiuld say dry up the fuel, run it and see if you can watch it form. If it doesn't show up, drive the truck, then check to see if it showed up. If none of you return line caps are ever wet, I would recommend making sure your hard line from the fuel filter to IP is snug and possibly new olives.

Fuzzy, I figured I needed new olives, but I had loosened that line to install new injector lines very recently. I just didn't tighten it up as tight as it was before. I'm still sure new olives would help though.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Replace the glow plug and see if that fixes the compression leak, if not you could try some grease on the threads. However, heat from the engine will probably liquify the grease and it'll leak again. If it were me I might try a thin piece of yellow Teflon tape on the threads. As for the fuel leak, it's the O-rings on the injector, the cap, or the fuel lines attached to the cap that are leaking.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The glow plus was not installed correctly so compression is leaking past the seat. Look at any glow plug for our engines. The maker means nothing. Below the threads is a seat thats cut on an angle. That meets with a seat in the head. If any carbon is stuck to that seat because the plug was not tight you will have a leak. there is a tool designed to cut out the carbon and clean it up. Ford had one as did snapon too. You can see what this tool looks like by going to ebay and entering Snapon MT 1480. Look at the meters offered. One of them has the tool. Its black in color.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online