Age Catching Up with the Ole 95 PSD. Need Replacement Part Advice

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my 95 F250 5spd 4wd PSD is showing a little age, but that's to be expected at 20 yrs on and 278k+ miles. It needs new shocks, up pipes replaced, U Joint front driver side, and a new driver seat. That's all pretty straight forward. I am looking advice on two specific items.
Alternator:
I believe the Alternator is going bad. At idle/ lower RPMs (below 2000) my battery gauge is showing low charge and light is on. Batteries were bought brand new back in February. I haven't run through a full diagnosis of the issue but I expect the alternator will need to be replaced. Naturally I don't want to go through alternator Hell with failed alternators so what part/ brand would you guys advise? I've come across the upgrade alternator (3G?) but I'm not sure I'd require that added expense as I'm not currently running any accessories other than a trailer brake controller, but in the future I do plan to add more lights.

Water Pump:
I've noticed coolant on the engine cross member on the front and I suspect my water pump is leaking and I think I should probably replace it as well. What would part/ brand you guys recommend on the water pump? I'm also familiar with the "upgrade" to the International T444E water pump and I wonder if that is worth it? I very much like that the International pump has a built in coolant filter which is something I definitely want to add to my truck as well.

Those are my questions for now. Thanks guys.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You already have a 3g, iirc. Can't say which brand I'd go with. Probably whatever the parts store has for me.

The international water pump with filter is what I wanted. Just couldn't spare the extra money for it at the time. So now I have a lifetime warranty one from autozone. I had to warranty it under a years time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water Pump may not be leaking, now that I've actually looked. Lol. Coolant is definitely leaking from the t stat.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
For the alternator, I would recommend DB Electrical.

Here is the factory spec'ed replacement 135 Amp alternator:

http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-7730-...0-f250-f350-pickup-95-96-97-98-van-95-03.aspx

$82 bucks, free shipping and NO CORE!!!! This is a brand new alternator, not a reman.

I needed one for the P71, and all the local "Box Store" Auto parts stores wanted ~$180 for the alternator for a Cop Car.... I looked at DB and they had it same as this one, A new, factory sized alternator for ~$77 bucks. There are in Kingsport, TN (Which is over toward Bristol) and I am up near Indianapolis, In. I placed my order on their website and got the Invoice E-Mail at 8:30 AM on Friday, I got the It's shipped E-Mail at 9:58 AM Friday, and it was here Tuesday Afternoon. It is a nice unit, and I noticed it's actually heavier than the OE one I took off....... Next alt or starter I need, will come from DB.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well that's a good price. I would try that one.
I mean I've heard of some upgraded ones, but they don't charge under 1500 RPM.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is definitely something I'll look into. I was thinking of just eating the core charge on any alternator I got and rebuilding this one as a backup anyways after having heard duo many horror stories about people buying alternators and having them go out several times.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
be carefull with the gasket on the vato zone brands.
they dont fit in the groove like the IH gaskets

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The one I got had a crummy oring. Helps to lay it out in some heat so it'll lay flat.
Plus I hit it with rtv. You know, just to be sure.

Oh, maybe Brian was talking about the thermostat oring. Be careful there. Mine was a square cut oring. Kinda a pain to get in just right. So I also slathered some rtv on it too.
Now my brother was having a crazy time finding the right one. Everywhere kept giving the wrong one. I think he eventually just rtv'd it.

Another tidbit, orielly carries a 203° thermostat, my truck loves it.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking to get the 203° t stat. I was thinking of getting the o ring from diesel o rings as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Can you link it? I tried looking for it on there but only came up with the thermostat.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I searched and searched and searched previously to try to find "the right one." Seems can only get it with the Ford stat. The others don't have the split in it to "hold" the stat. It just sits on top.
I mean, mine isn't leaking, but I did go heavy on rtv.
You know I bet could try one from a different application. Most thermostats are pretty close to the same diameter.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered an alternator from DB Electrical. They had it new for $82 but I paid for the UPS Surepost which was another $25. They don't deliver to PO Boxes but your billing and shipping address has to be the same and my billing is a PO Box. hopefully the Surepost method works because UPS transfer the package to the nearest post office anyways.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered the alternator linked above this afternoon and it has already been shipped. That's pretty awesome service there.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I ordered an alternator from DB Electrical. They had it new for $82 but I paid for the UPS Surepost which was another $25. They don't deliver to PO Boxes but your billing and shipping address has to be the same and my billing is a PO Box. hopefully the Surepost method works because UPS transfer the package to the nearest post office anyways.

Ordered the alternator linked above this afternoon and it has already been shipped. That's pretty awesome service there.

Yep, that's what I really liked about them.

BTW - With the weight of the alternator, UPS should be the one to bring it all the way. I think the cutoff for UPS to drop it at the post office is 8lbs. The one for my P71 was over 16lbs......... the big brown truck brought mine to the house, but my physical address is also my shipping address (I have a mailbox at the curb)........

I think you will be happy with it. Mine is still charging away.......