Aerating the fuel

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Friend's 7.3 IDI van has the factory fuel pick up/sending unit.

This part has a beige plastic container that accepts hot fuel returned from the IP under pressure. It appears the sole purpose of the container is to prevent air from mixing into the fuel when it it returned. It also connects the shower head to the steel pick up tube. The plastic is breaking apart.

He'd like the container replaced with welded steel fuel pick up/return lines, keeping the shower head in use.

Will allowing the return fuel to shoot directly into the tank cause aeration? If so, will that cause any operational problems?

I can fab any manner of stainless steel tube designs

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Really, the other trucks don't have those.
What you can do is extend the return line outlet further away from the pickup.
Toss the plastic shower head.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'd love to toss the shower head, but he wants to keep it, even after I showed him the remains of one dissolved by diesel fuel.

I'm wondering if I should make a small 2-quart collector tank, resting inside the main tank, that has both the fuel pick-up and return lines, to keep heated diesel going to the engine.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Unless you live way up north, or are running waste oil, I wouldn't.
Warlboro makes a diesel rated picked screen.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
I don't know about the vans, but the older trucks have a check valve/flapper to hold return pressure and to keep the return lines from draining back when the engine is a shutoff. Return line pressure is needed during big fuel demand and is pulled back into the filter head by the IP when needed. Fuel return drain-back sucks when you have a helluva time starting the vehicle. Try to keep the fuel pickup as close to stock as possible. Make a steel shower head or use fuel hose with a brass barb with threaded end, drill out the cap, stick a heavy screen in it and screw it on the barb that's now on the end of the hose. Use a hose clamp to secure the hose to the spot where the shower head used to be.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the vans, but the older trucks have a check valve/flapper to hold return pressure and to keep the return lines from draining back when the engine is a shutoff. Return line pressure is needed during big fuel demand and is pulled back into the filter head by the IP when needed. Fuel return drain-back sucks when you have a helluva time starting the vehicle. Try to keep the fuel pickup as close to stock as possible. Make a steel shower head or use fuel hose with a brass barb with threaded end, drill out the cap, stick a heavy screen in it and screw it on the barb that's now on the end of the hose. Use a hose clamp to secure the hose to the spot where the shower head used to be.
Are you referring to the check valve on the filter head. Fuel never flows into the filter head through that valve unless it is shot. Ever. That is a one way check valve to let air and excess fuel pressure out if the head and into the return system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your help.

I'll suggest my friend have his stock system repaired to stay as original as possible. If he wants something else, he can find another mechanic.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Are you referring to the check valve on the filter head. Fuel never flows into the filter head through that valve unless it is shot. Ever. That is a one way check valve to let air and excess fuel pressure out if the head and into the return system.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Nope. Last time I had my sending units out there was a runner device on the return end that would allow fuel to return to the tank but keep fuel in the line when the vehicle was off. More like an anti-siphon than a check valve.

ryanecvbrown

Credo Quia Absurdum
Reaction score
Ohh Nevermind. I see what you're saying. To my understand in the check valve isn't in the filter head, it's on the IP outlet to the return system. I'll have to dig up my service manuals tomorrow and look.