Advice

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm weighing a decision on the purchase of a "fixer-upper" so I came to the best knowledge source l'm aware of. It's a single cab 2000 F250 powerstroke with 6spd 4x4 128,000 miles, four near new tires, one owner whom I personally know. That's all of the "good", the bad is this truck has been used as a plow truck nearly it's entire life. Driverside rocker is toast, tailgate is toast, front bumper is toast, rear leaf spring on driver side has two broken leafs, brake line to rear is rusted off, driver door latch is broke, transmission pops out of reverse occasionally. I'll also mention the engine has been maintained correctly and runs great and yes the oil pan has been replaced. He offered it to me for $3000....... What do you all think? Is it worth fixing or another thought which I have not researched is the possibility of swapping engine & trans into my 87???

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3k for a busted up rustbucket???
That's decent\nice driver $$$ here...
Is 5k a good driver price there?

Edit
Now the plow may be the thing that tips it...
I will defer to the snow guys on that!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should've mentioned, " no plow" included.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't know, sounds like a $1500 truck max if it's that rough. The broken leafs, blown brake line, door handle, and transmission popping out kinda kill the deal on my opinion.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was one of those situations where you kinda already knew the answer however it means so much when respected opinions coincide with your own.... Thanks for the confirmation guys!
Wes, if you lived within reasonable driving distance your hands would've been on my truck years ago!

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As if you didn’t need more guidance. RUN AWAY SCREAMING!!!

My truck was a plow truck and I don’t think it’s was that bad. Those trucks rusted really bad.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck was a plow truck and I don’t think it’s was that bad. Those trucks rusted really bad.

Yeah I'm actually disassembling a 94 (f350 plow truck) for a local guy so I can get a couple parts from it in return. I was shocked how bad parts of it are, there's even a couple nice holes through the frame where the proportioning valve holds all that salt and snow against the frame.