Advice on auto to ZF5 swap 91 7.3

PowerbyFord

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am doing an auto to manual swap on my Dad's 91 F-350, and want a few thoughts. Should I do the Lucky mod while I have it out? The DMF only has about 3/4" movement. Also, what type of clutch and pressure plate is recomended. He lives in another state, and I want to do it right so he will not have any problems when I bring it back to him. He has a flatbed on it and uses it to pull his gooseneck trailer with construction equipment. I already have all clutch pedal assy, column, master and slave cylinder and lines, cross member and driveshafts.:thanks:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing the same thing to the Moosestang once I get this 8 lug front axle debacle cleared up. The luckymod is underway on the DMF I have for it, and yes you should do it. You won't like going back in later to re-do it. However, since your building this for someone else, you may want to find out if $600 is worth having the factory sound. All solid flywheels produce gear rollover noise, so they are a little loud at idle. You might try and find a sound clip for your dad, just so he can confirm that he can live with it. Otherwise, spend the money on a new DMF.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yea my mom couldn't stand the sound of the lucky mod flywheel so we dropped the coin for a new DMF. But she's a whiner so your dad will probably be fine with it.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be doing the same thing to the Moosestang once I get this 8 lug front axle debacle cleared up. The luckymod is underway on the DMF I have for it, and yes you should do it. You won't like going back in later to re-do it. However, since your building this for someone else, you may want to find out if $600 is worth having the factory sound. All solid flywheels produce gear rollover noise, so they are a little loud at idle. You might try and find a sound clip for your dad, just so he can confirm that he can live with it. Otherwise, spend the money on a new DMF.

I was curious has to how much these DMFs actually were and they are more like 800-900:eek:

When you measure the play, where do you take the measurements from? obviously the inside is going to be a bit different than the out side measurement.....

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Actually, you have to look pretty hard to find them for less than $1000. Ford wants $2300 for the flywheel alone.

zpd307

Reaction score
i just got done doing this. i used 7/16x2 fine thread fastenal bolts. and drilled the holes to 27/64. the pressure plate side of the flywheel bolt holes are already that big anyway. i cant wait to see how everything works out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US