additives

CH302K

Reaction score
I new to the 7.3 idi .I'm reading about fuel additive and coolant additive.Would someone please tell me what namebrand additives I should use?
Thanks
chuck

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a cetane booster and when I change the oil I put a qt of greased lightning in it. Paid off a while back . when I was down and unable to walk or drive my wife and daughter talked me into letting them drive it around. Long and short of it is the oil plug worked loose and they ran it for over a week w/o diddly for oil in it. When I changed the oil out (madder than a wet cat) there was maybe 2 qts of sludge left in it. Changed the oil out fired it up and it ran like usual........ I attribute that to the greased lightning thats exactly what it says it will do. It's a molecular bonder of some type similar to slick 50 but this stuff actually works.

Reaction score
I researched all this just recently.

I changed to Opti-lube for my fuel additive (bought direct from Opti-lube) and got my SCA test kit and coolant additive from Fleetpride (local International truck dealer).

Definitely read up on the coolant info. You shouldn't just add stuff to your coolant. There's more to it than that- you want to test it and maintain it (or replace it) as necessary.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I have used Howes a lot to. I hear Opti-Lube is the best additive going however for lubricity sake.

But for about 2 months now I have been running a 5-10% bio diesel blend for lubricity and I will never go back to any additives except for when it gets might cold I might put some Howes in it just for good measure against gelling.

Seems like Fleetgaurd is the the SCA additive of choice among members here. I have not used it but I will on my next coolant flush. Im currently running Turbo-Power HD diesel coolant with SCA.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I run 4 ozs of Stanadyne Performance Formula in every thank of diesel. It has never letme down. It lubes the fuel system and improves the fuel cetane.