AC service possibile conversion

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You would be amazed at the amount of people that don't change a dryer,add oil etc.they think that they can just squirt refrigerant in and it will work. Don't know what an orifice or expansion valve is etc.

My favorite was a jaguar owner " I put 6 cans in it and its still not cold ".

What was the pressure in that system when you put the gauges on it??? WOW!

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was trying to pump liquid. High pressure switch would stop the compressor immediately.

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little insight into the R12 to R134 changeover.

I knew some people who worked for DuPont here in Louisville (where it was made) at the time the switch was made. I am sure everyone recalls the hole in the Ozone environmental scare. It's the one that came after we entered the new Ice Age of the 70's and just before the Global Warming/Climate Change hysteria of today.

Anyhow, DuPont's patent was coincidentally running out (big time loss of $$$ about to happen) at the same time the California Scientist started the fluorocarbon dissolving the Ozone over the poles catastrophe.

So being the business minded people, DuPont refused to dispute the findings in order to buy time to bring another freon to market. One that would ensure that they would once again control the manufacturing and distribution of $$$, I mean freon product. Coincidentally competitors were in the process of obtaining approval to build plants to manufacture the ozone depleting freon at this time too. Did not work out so well for them.

Meanwhile Chicken Little steps in and the sky is falling. So basically everything containing fluorocarbons is basically outlawed or its production is severely limited.

DuPont rolls out their new "environmentally friendly product" and is praised as a responsible corporate citizen that coincidentally has a patent that will ensure that they control the new freon products for years to come $$$.

As for the hole in the ozone, It naturally expands and contracts according to the USGS's Antarctic Core Sample report on the subject. That's why you don't hear much about it anymore. Except for the occasional environmentalist talking about how they forced DuPont to do the right thing and save the planet.

So why did it not revert back? Simple, it would cost too much to change everything back by the time everything was repealed.

As for the "environmentally friendly product", apparently there are a lot of discussions and reports of R134a being extremely bad for everything and everyone.

I wonder how much longer before Dupont's patent runs out on this version.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Big money talks and the little guy gets screwed once again. I knew most of what has been posted but did not want to sound off bout it. I'm glad its been brought out in the open finally by someone "in the business".

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We found a Bad O ring actually couple , We replaced all of them , New Orifice tube , pulled vacume for 45 minute ,the system hold vacume pretty well , We also converted the System to 134 with new fittings .Added Oil to the system and charged to 175 cold side with 134 , the compressor cycling pretty great . The AC is Finally working pretty good but i won't say it will freeze you or any thing like that . I am not sure if sticking with the Blue tube was the right thing . But i hardly drive the green machine but its nice to have AC for this coming weekend race trip .

The old orifice tube showed some dirt on it but not black gunk or any thing like that . I learned a great deal today between reading here and watching and helping out getting it done today , If any thing i wish i could done difference is to replace the dryer

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you change the dryer/accumulater? If not expect a disaster in the future. The orange orifice works better than the blue.

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Chris142 .. As i mentioned the one thing i regret not changing was the Dryer ( black can ) and what type of a disaster So i can get prepared for . DO i need to re do it ??? Or this simple black can is going to turn my green monster machine to Diesel Yugo

If i have to re do what i did including going to the Orange color can i save/ recycle the freon

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can save the r134a if you or a shop has a charging station. The r12 dryer is not compatible with r134a. The desicant is contained in a bag. The r134a will eat the bag.

Once this happens the desicant gets pumped through out every component before the orifice tube. This is a total disaster as every component must now be flushed or replaced.

Does your dryer still have the ford sticker? Maybe its been replaced already? Any dryer made in the last 20 or so years is compatable with both refrigerants

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can save the r134a if you or a shop has a charging station. The r12 dryer is not compatible with r134a. The desicant is contained in a bag. The r134a will eat the bag.

Once this happens the desicant gets pumped through out every component before the orifice tube. This is a total disaster as every component must now be flushed or replaced.

Does your dryer still have the ford sticker? Maybe its been replaced already? Any dryer made in the last 20 or so years is compatable with both refrigerants

This is all true. I ran into someone a few years (90's) back who decided to change out after a hose failed. He replaced his entire system about five years prior.

Anyhow the incompatibility of the two with internals will mess things up to the point of replacement. His condenser and evaporator insides were coated with the stuff. After several attempts at flushing and what not, he took to a local radiator shop and the tech said that stuff never comes completely out and just chalk it up to a lesson learned.

The Bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty soon. Now they are switching to HF1234 as a refrigerant. Some new cars are already out with it.

I wonder if that has more to do with the side effects or patent?

I has heard that lawsuits had been filed about how much more lethal it was to "huff" the new freons. Go figure!

Spun4Fun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have the Dryer and Orange tube on order ...Do i need to get any thing else .. I have changed all the O rings and system holds vacume , i injected Oil in the system for caution measure .

I am not planing to Run the system at all .

DO i need to flush the AC system or any thing like that ..?

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
since this is AC talk, im hoping I can piggyback on your guys knowledge here. My truck originally had AC, all my components are rusty, crappy leaked w.e. I want to go all brand new, please tell me if I am missing anything. Lookin at approx 350$ from rock auto, need to check local.

AC compressor (complete with pulley clutch etc)
orifice tube (red, blue, orange?..)
R134 orings
condenser
evap core
drier
condenser to evap line
compressor to condenser line
suction line

will take it to a shop to get vacuumed and charged.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i have the Dryer and Orange tube on order ...Do i need to get any thing else .. I have changed all the O rings and system holds vacume , i injected Oil in the system for caution measure .

I am not planing to Run the system at all .

DO i need to flush the AC system or any thing like that ..?

That's the great thing about using the r134a. If you look hard enough, you can find it on sale cheap. You now know everything works, you just want to tweak it by putting in a different orfice and a new accumulator. If you had spent hundreds on r12, that would make you sick. You are probably out $30 of r134a. No big deal.

What type of oil did you use? Most factory r134a systems use the PAG oil, but they say it does not play nice with the old oil they used for the r12. That's why the conversion kits use the ester oil. If you want to use the PAG, you then have to really clean the system good to get all the oil r12 oil out of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online