A Few Engine Overhall Questions

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Off speculation here, but the valves will need to get recessed also.
So while the head moves in closer to the block, the valve is moved towards the rocker.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Ish haha! I am a bit lost here. glad I am wondering this now instead of when the engine is apart haha!

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Anyone know if the head gaskets for a 93 or 94 turbo IDI will work for my engine. I called ford and they have 2 different part numbers between the one for an 88 and the one for a 93 so..... Anyone?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Hmmm. Surprised no one commented and said if I was wrong or not.
But then again it's been covered countless times.

Gaskets are the same, far as I know.
But look up some posts by Gary on the 6.9 gaskets.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

Ford F834

Reaction score
Anyone know if the head gaskets for a 93 or 94 turbo IDI will work for my engine. I called ford and they have 2 different part numbers between the one for an 88 and the one for a 93 so..... Anyone?

According to this PDF manual on the IDIT, one of the improvements for the turbo version of the engine was different head gaskets with a stronger fire ring. Some turbo improvements like the exhaust valves and oil cooler core became the standard replacement service part, but this PDF is the only place I have heard any mention of the turbo-specific head gaskets. VR and FP aftermarket gasket makers only have one type of gasket for both applications. If Ford still sells a superior turbo application gasket that would be cool. There is no reason it could not be used on an NA 7.3L engine. The heads are the same...

http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/93 94 7.3 IDI Turbocharged Diesel Engine.pdf

Turbo rods? I happen to have a set that I won't be using... along with the turbo harmonic balancer. If you (or any other readers) are interested feel free to shoot me an offer. The block was not salvageable and I am going a different route with my project engine. Be aware that the turbo pistons and keystone rings for them are quite a bit more expensive than the NA equivalents.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I gonna drop into Napa tomorrow and see what they have for the 88's and 93', if they are the same, then FORD has some old stuff stock piled that I for sure don't want, and don't think anyone else would want :rotflmao

Ford F834

Reaction score
I gonna drop into Napa tomorrow and see what they have for the 88's and 93', if they are the same, then FORD has some old stuff stock piled that I for sure don't want, and don't think anyone else would want :rotflmao

Just remember 1993 had both turbo AND naturally aspirated 7.3's available. Also Ford may be the only one to carry the different "turbo" gasket. All the aftermarket gasket makers only sell one option for both engines. If Ford sells OEM gaskets for VIN code K (turbo) engines, and they have the "notch" in the gasket, that is going to be the best you can get. Whether the 7.3 aftermarket gaskets are comparable I don't know... See attached image of p24 of the IDIT manual for identifying the turbo gasket:
You must be registered for see images attach

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, I may seem kinda dumb but I don't care haha. So, I am most likely going to be buying head gaskets from Napa and I was reading the specs on their computer and it said the bore of the gaskets is 4.22, our stock bore is 4.11 if I am not mistaken, is this normal? I would imagine there is supposed to be a small offset but I just want to make darn sure :p Thanks fellas.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I may seem kinda dumb but I don't care haha. So, I am most likely going to be buying head gaskets from Napa and I was reading the specs on their computer and it said the bore of the gaskets is 4.22, our stock bore is 4.11 if I am not mistaken, is this normal? I would imagine there is supposed to be a small offset but I just want to make darn sure :p Thanks fellas.

I bought Napa stuff. It was fel pro stuff inside the box. I think even the boxes might have said fel pro...

In any case, went together and seemed good to me. Guess I'll know when I try to start it here soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look thru the online parts catalogs. FelPro, Victor... satisfy yourself. Gather the specs. If I remember correctly, the major manufacturers all went to what is essentially turbo spec gaskets. They are all better than what was available in '88 or '93 due to advances in technology. Also research using 6.9L gadgets vs 7.3L gaskets (basically unplugging the water ports at the lower ends of the head) which adds to water flow. There are some great in depth discussion on that here. The fire ring diameter is the same for all recently made gaskets as several on the board have verified. Napa is a vendor not a manufacturer. Like most stores that have in house brands (Car Quest is another), their parts are reboxed from somebody else or rebranded from somebody else. They used to be good at picking the best parts to rebox... lately they have been slipping a little. But so have the others, trying to maximize profit by minimizing costs. It really pays to know who actually built the parts before you plunk down the bucks. If Napa is reboxing FelPro, that's good. Better than some noname part from China.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online