A Few Engine Overhall Questions

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I'm gonna save the build for my spare engine as planned unless i need it for something else. I just wanna get my truck on the road. An intercooler would run me around 1,400 haha!

ive seen people spend about 300 and have them done.
all it is is an innercooler, and piping. 4 hoses and 8 clamps.

stealth13777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a very similar thread going on my rebuild. Had a lot of questions myself. I'll add the link to this post once I get home in case some of what these guys helped me with can help you as well.

As far as head gaskets, I saw a lot of good press for fel pro and victor reinz. I've used a lot of fel pro in the past and had good luck, so when that was standard in the Napa overhaul kit, I was happy to use it. My kit ended up being pieced together due to back ordered parts, but they honored the price! Stuck with fel pro gaskets.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69378

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
I'm looking up both of them now. The only intercoolers i have been able to find are from hypermax, new! Hey, if I get the heads surfaced wont that ruin my valve train because of the push rods? I know they only take 4 thousands of an inch off, but still.... haha.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking up both of them now. The only intercoolers i have been able to find are from hypermax, new! Hey, if I get the heads surfaced wont that ruin my valve train because of the push rods? I know they only take 4 thousands of an inch off, but still.... haha.

They just surfaced mine and ground the valves down in a hair to compensate for it.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I have heard it's a good idea to loosen head bolts in reverse torque sequence a bit at a time until they are loose to keep from warping the head. It can't hurt and may be helpful. I did mine that way . If your heads need to be surfaced the valves will need to be set deeper in the head to maintain piston to valve clearance. We have hydraulic roller lifters so a small change in head thickness can be taken up by the lifters.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
never turn a cam down. if you do this, your lobes will get smaller. which decreases your valve lift.
just buy a new one or run the one you have after checking and polishing.
roller camshafts do not wear like a flat tappet cam.

I was under the impression nobody makes blanks for an IDI, that all aftermarket cams are regrinds. I recall hearing of three cams, the one Type4 offers, another that IDIPerformance offers and maybe a third. I thought all were regrinds. A regrind does not necessarily have less lift *** can in fact have greater lift. To regrind to greater lift or more aggressive ramp profiles typically the base circle is reduced. Rocker geometry and lifter preload must be checked when using any regrind or aftermarket cam and is a good idea even on a stock rebuild.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DO NOT HAVE THE HEADS RESURFACED UNLESS THEY NEED TO!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any idi engine cam be converted into a turbo engine with the turbo rods with the larger wrist pins. BTW the size differences are non turbo is 28mm and turbo is 33mm. Just make sure the COMPLETE rotating parts are balanced by someone that really knows what they are doing. A vibration wave can be created from taking the weight off the wrong area of the crank. Thats not good either. Only custom turbo pistons are used in the 6.9 engines. Nobody makes a set so it custom or nothing. Mahle is the oem maker of all the idi pistons and they still make turbo pistons. Finding the turbo rods is the difficult part. Ford or International has them but they usually want a like core. You wont be trading in a turbo rod. But they may make an exception too. Just ask. Nothing wrong with non turbo rods. I ran them boosting to 13 lbs for nearly 200,000 miles of hard hauling heavy loads all over the US and Canada. Never a failure either. The cam is just fine as posted. Change the bearings and call it good. Maybe install a new set of roller lifters and call it good too. The cam Russ offeres is very well proven many times over. Don't think its not all that and a bag of chips. Had he done this cam when I was rebuilding my engine I sure would have used one. Still probably will but in good time. Not now. I'm too hurt for that much hard work.. Porting both the intake and exhaust ports will make the engine breath much better. I have shared my porting pics and heads for the last 8 years. Its plenty of work and messing them up is not possible like messing up a gas engine heads. We just want the ports smooth and allow more air in and out. We can even mirror finish them and not have gas drops build up on the intake ports like a gasser. More air in equals more fuel to burn. Our intake is wide open all the time. No fuel or butterflies in that. In fact when we boost the inlet charge that boost is waiting on the back side of the intake valve ready to rush into the cylinder. So if thats 13 lbs then 13 lbs fills the cylinder too. Its amazing thinking about it that way. Here are some pics of my port work. Also don't worry bout the bottom end. A main girdle is not needed. That bottom end will not walk on you ever. Maybe if you have 450 or more hp working but nope. Not needed.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A camshaft either made from billet or cast iron all have one thing in comon. they are 1 piece of material.
if you have a cam reground it takes material off the cam. to make them with more lobe, means to add material to them.
NEVER IN ANY OF MY ENGINES!!!
to gring a blank is one thing. so many CNC's out there, this is ok.
but to add more to a cam to get more lift out of it is asking for trouble.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have heard it's a good idea to loosen head bolts in reverse torque sequence a bit at a time until they are loose to keep from warping the head. It can't hurt and may be helpful. I did mine that way . If your heads need to be surfaced the valves will need to be set deeper in the head to maintain piston to valve clearance. We have hydraulic roller lifters so a small change in head thickness can be taken up by the lifters.

ive never had a problem with cast iron heads. aluminum is another story completely.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was under the impression nobody makes blanks for an IDI, that all aftermarket cams are regrinds. I recall hearing of three cams, the one Type4 offers, another that IDIPerformance offers and maybe a third. I thought all were regrinds. A regrind does not necessarily have less lift *** can in fact have greater lift. To regrind to greater lift or more aggressive ramp profiles typically the base circle is reduced. Rocker geometry and lifter preload must be checked when using any regrind or aftermarket cam and is a good idea even on a stock rebuild.

i guess i stand corrected. all i know is my past experience. ive used 2 re-ground cams in gassers and both of them failed.
if we have adjustable valvetrain, this is ok, but i have never seen adjustable valvetrain on any of my 7.3's or 6.9's
minus the jerk that bought harland sharpes.. ( he's only a jerk because im jealous) :D

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
maybe even pretty'd up on the flow numbers (research first)

I'm not saying it doesn't help, because I'm sure it can.
But these heads already outflow 6.0 psd 4 valve heads.
Which some may say it should, because the 7.3 is bigger, but look at the power levels.
I'm just saying, you may not get your time/effort/money worth from it. Better put towards something else.

And any of the available regrind cams for these will do wanders. Ain't no gasser.
I believe typ4 has one, and r&d has two available.
Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

bullfisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah,I'm gonna save the build for my spare engine as planned unless i need it for something else. I just wanna get my truck on the road. An intercooler would run me around 1,400 haha!
Just received my intercooler today. $159 cx racing, well proven on this forum. Making my own piping for a fraction of the HM kit. A turbo and an intercooler are the 2 best upgrades for these engines. Theres a reason every diesel truck made today has them both.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So what do I do if I want the heads checked out and re-surfaced? Is there a clearance between the rods and rockers that can be set? I thought they couldn't be set!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.