A/C Hose assembly.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I found out that I have a very slow leak in my discharge hose. It holds vacuum fine, but not pressure. So I started the journey to find another one, but this is proving very difficult. All the hoses I can get at either AutoZone or Oreilly are about 14" too short. It's the same part number as the PSD, so I'm assuming it's the PSD hose. My "factory" hose has the pressure switch in the manifold sticking straight up at 90deg from the manifold. The PSD is folded over parallel with the manifold. This is all that is available for the K VIN. I even tried the '93, but that one is R12.

Has anyone purchased the suction/discharge assembly for a '94 with factory air that was the correct length? Where?

At this point, I'm getting the PSD assembly and taking it to a hose shop to have a longer hose crimped on..... ridiculous.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with using the R12 hose as long as it's long enough and both ends hook up.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your old hose to an AC shop and have them fix it.I do this all day long

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with using the R12 hose as long as it's long enough and both ends hook up.

I hate the little 12/134 conversion fittings. Every one I've done has had a very slow leak around the fittings. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I would rather just have a hose that is one-piece and has as few orings as possible.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your old hose to an AC shop and have them fix it.I do this all day long

So went to hose specialty shop and tbey said no problem. New hose and crimps, but they put a flare fitting in between. Guy swore they do it all the time. I've never seen a 134a fitting that didnt have an oring on it.

Guarantee it leaks....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted the 134 hose needs the barrier inside because that type freon will leak past the R12 hose material.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I thought all hoses compressors and other components currently being manufactured are r 134a compatible.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So went to hose specialty shop and tbey said no problem. New hose and crimps, but they put a flare fitting in between. Guy swore they do it all the time. I've never seen a 134a fitting that didnt have an oring on it.

Guarantee it leaks....

Wth! Ya a flare tends to leak

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Almost all older dealer installed systems were flare fittings, pretty trouble free. 2 of our dump trucks and all the heavy equipment with AC has flare fittings.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost all older dealer installed systems were flare fittings, pretty trouble free...

Is this 12 or 134? I was told the 134 molecule is much smaller than the 12 molecule. It's one of the reasons R12 is so much better. Easier to seal, better heat exchange, lower pressures.

I guess I'm going to find out. It held 30" for a half hour without budging, so I'm going to try again.

Then again, the last time I did this it held vacuum, but leaked under pressure.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Almost all older dealer installed systems were flare fittings, pretty trouble free. 2 of our dump trucks and all the heavy equipment with AC has flare fittings.
Works OK with r12. Not so much with r134a

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All converted, so far so good. I do agree. But the bosses control the expenditures. LOL Im sure you know that one.
Make sure to crank it down tight and watch for oil/dirt sticking to that fitting. We weld our fittings and crimp the lines

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online

No members online now.