99-03 7.3?

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Are there any differences between the 99 through 03 7.3's? I would assume the newer 7.3s would be better than the older ones?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
01+ has PM rods, some HP changes, but over all the same 99.5 up
early 99 hs different turbo, and hpop

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
'99 to '01 is rated at 235 hp & 505 ft-lbs in both auto and manual trannies. The engines had forged rods and are believed to be a bit tougher and stand up to power upgrades better. These are the ones that I would prefer to have. The turbo was slightly different on the early '99 trucks and are essentially the later turbos with a wicked wheel already installed.

'01.5 to '03 was rated at 250 hp and 505 ft-lbs in the auto and 275 hp and 525 ft-lbs in the manual. These had powdered metal rods and are not as strong behind power upgrades as the earlier engines. In '02 Ford redesigned the front slightly offering the newer style "jeweled" headlight assemblies and fog lights. The seats were revised in the '01.5 trucks and in '02 the instrument cluster was revised to include an auto transmission temp gauge which was not accurate at all.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Well I am the proud owner of a 99 f250 ext cab 4x4. Pickin it up tomarrow. Now time for the upgrades. I'd like to put on a cold air intake and make it a straight exhaust. Gettin some pillar gauges. 3 gauges. I want to get the best mpg i can out of it what do i need to do?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Early 99 or late 99? Easy to tell...is the "Powerstroke" badge on the door like the later trucks or on the fenders?

Cutting the muffler off is always a good idea. It lets the engine breathe and the turbo spool a little quicker. On the 'Stroke it's a little more difficult because the inlet and outlet are not directly in line. You can use a piece of flex-pipe to make the connection but it's not as sturdy as welding in a piece of rigid 3.5" pipe. Plus it makes the truck sound much better.

First things first, change all the fluids including the axles. Make sure the king pins, brakes, rotors, etc are all in working order. Replace the fluids with synthetic. Once the truck is capable or funning good, THEN you can start thinking about power additions.

The first cheapo power mod is the 10K mod. Do a search and you will find all you need to know about how to do this. There is another site that has a ton of tips on how to make the truck run a little better but I can't remember the address and it's not in my favorites.

Gauges are always a wise move especially for the auto trucks. And like I suggested in the other thread, check out www.itpdiesel.com and ask Dennis to help you build your truck for what you're going to do with it.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. Yea the engine oil has been changed. I dont know about the tranny i forgot to grab the service records. Im pretty sure they didnt do the front or rear diffs. Im looking at the mag-hytec diff covers and trans pans. Im goin with the glow shift guages. They have a kit for like 150 bucks that comes with the A pillar and 3 gauges. Yea that muffler is coming off for sure. I want some stacks for it. Also doin cosmetics like clearance lights and a visor but that stuff can wait. I just want it serviced and fix the lil **** thats wrong.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Just remember when it comes to parts and such, especially with diesel parts, you get what you pay for. If you go with cheap, that's exactly what you'll get.

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
Yea, i def know about that when buyin stuff for my other toys. Do you know if anyone makes a big package deal for diff and trans pans from mag hytec? Looks like i got to buy them all individually. Did you do that 10k mod to yer 01?

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
Don't know if there's a package... just the unit price for each. If you do a google search you may find some obscure retailer selling them online for less than anyone else. Also may luck out on ePay for someone selling a used one.

After I cut my muffler off my '01, the next day I was at Radio Shack getting the stuff to do the 10k. It didn't add piles of power like a tuner or chip does, but if you're on a budget or are not looking for tons of extra power, it's well worth the $15 in parts that you have to gather. Smoke was up a little and the responsiveness of the truck was much improved.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
One other functional "common sense" mod that I personally endorse is swapping the factory upper radiator hose out in favor of the "Ambulance Prep Package" hose. In factory form, the upper radiator hose passes from the thermostat, through the serpentine belt to the upper radiator outlet (no one knows why FoMoCo thought this made sense.) In the Ambulance package, the upper radiator hose comes out of the thermostat and along the front of the block between the belt and the engine block , then makes a 90* turn around the serpentine belt to the upper radiator outlet; it's secured by placing it in the C-shaped piece of aluminum and holding it down with a hose clamp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online