95 PS F250 Sat for two years running.... Tranny issue

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it running, mechanic replaced starter, batteries , belt and primed oil pump. I picked it up Friday night, it runs good, but getting a code for tranny , mechanic said it was a sensor code , was hoping it would straighten out as I drove it, but so far not. The issue is that from a dead stop or going up an incline, I have to drop it down to second, it does not have enough power in drive. Other than that, so far have not found anything else off on it. Put about 200 miles on it over the weekend just running around, love driving it!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that OD light is flashing, STOP driving it, It's in limp mode and you'll destroy the tranny. You actually only have 2nd and reverse when it's in limp mode. Did the mechanic pull the code?

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taking it back tomorrow, will have him take care of it. :( I knew it was too good to be true.......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most mechanics do not have the correct code reader for Ford. He may be able to pull the codes by the KOEO method. On a diesel you have to keep the throttle to the floor when pulling the codes. Im typing this on my Kindle right now, have to wait til I get home to tell U how to set up for pulling code.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just talked to him, he did pull the code and it came as a shifting sensor code. He spoke to his tranny guy and they felt it might be due to it sitting. He also test drove this truck all last week after getting it running. He works on a lot of Ford Trucks.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a good tran shop close to me, so going to take it by there in the morning to have it checked. Praying it is just a sensor and I feel like it is, no hard shifting at all, just the issue of not a lot of "power" when starting forward in drive. It seems fine once you get it to about 25-30.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You keep driving it like that and you'll burn the coast clutches out. then It's a complete rebuild. Ya got $3000- $3500 to spare.

Nice to hear the mechanic test drove your truck all last week, He do that to my truck, and he'd find out how my foot got test drove up where the sun don't shine.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust my mechanic, took it to the tran shop it is the EPC sensor, being replaced, BTW the tran guy says my mechanic is a really good mechanic. And my mechanic is capable of fixing the tran, however being backed up with work, it is at the tran shop will be fixed in a day or two.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Your code number should be for EPC solenoid failure.

EPC is a solenoid that controls exhaust pressure. This dies the solenoid pack gets replaced.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard of people having trans problems with bad ebp sensors/clogged tube.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a new one on me. Never heard of that. I don't even know what a EPC sensor is.

I know what a EBPS is and a EBPV is, but they have nothing to do with the transmission. You can completely disconnect them and the transmission will shift just fine. Those two controls basically just make the engine heat up quicker.

I may be wrong, but I smell a rip off. Why would a mechanic drive it all week and not know it had a tranny problem.

If you have an Android phone, get what's below. Then you can troubleshoot your own truck.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...g.prowl.torque

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...sp&AID=10446076&PID=5253784&SID=1ps03jg6ykem9

Attachments

• 052.jpg
    052.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 055.jpg
    055.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just what I heard from several people.
Agreed that something is fishy that he drove it like that for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I trust my mechanic

Why, have you been watching him work?

A highly reputable shop put Alumaseal in the 1997 Audi A8 I'm working on. It's all aluminum from stem to stern, let alone the whole motor.

Unless you know the guy personally, and have been watching him work, stop trusting him after he drove your truck around for a week

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lockedhearts
Pleased heed what we are trying to tell you. On this forum we, the members, probably know more about these engines and transmissions than most mechanics. We do everything possible to protect people from inscrutable mechanics, not condemning your mechanic, but things just don't add up. Not knowing what code(s) were pulled, it's difficult to diagnose your problem. Ford has there own trouble codes and it takes a special code reader like I have listed or equivalent. " AutoEnginuity with Ford Enhanced".
Most mechanic's don't know you have to hold the throttle to the floor with the key on and engine off when pulling the codes, otherwise you get all kinds of codes that are not relevant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online