95 7.3 , first day working on it. Gonna check starter and then??????

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95 7.3 , UPDATE!!!! It's Running!!!!!

This truck has sat and not been cranked for about two years. Batteries are holding charge, turn key and the starter solenoid just thumps. With that we are going to pull the starter off today and check it. Assuming Starter is good (or bad and we replace) and we still get nothing, what would be the next thing to check? Please bear in mind, 1) I am female (have mechanical ability) and 2) my previous truck was a 91 with the 7.3 IDI so not all that familiar with the PS . Still hoping that the starter is the issue. In turning the key on, the glow plugs and GP regulator seem to be working properly.

UPDATE: Two New Batteries, New Starter had to prime the oil pump and new tires! Picking it up from the mechanic this afternoon! :D

Last edited:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
our van from sitting had a locked up alternator and a locked up idler pulley and wouldn't turn over.
take a 15/16 socket and try to turn the motor over by the balancer bolt.
If it doesent turn over , remove the serpentine belt and look for locked up pulleys

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can ha ve someone crawl under with a hammer to tap,not beat,on the starter while you try cranking it with the key.this sometimes frees a stuck starter.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be the one crawling under, I love my husband but he is not mechanical and may not even recognize the starter :dunno

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The serpentine belt is going to have to be replaced anyway, will try that if the starter does not solve the problem.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well poop! I can get all but one bolt loose, the other is not in a good place for a breaker bar and we do not have any air tools or compressor big enough to run them to try that. Texted my mechanic to see if I can talk him into coming over and trying it, if not gonna have to have her hauled to his shop :rolleyes: This sucks! I hate being a female sometimes .......

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is 4 wd . we are in Ga
There is quite a few guys in GA on the OB, but most all post on the 6.9 7.3 forum. If you would post over there, maybe some one would live close to you and help out, bunch of good guys on here that might be willing. You would have to divulge your location tho.
Just ask if anyone is in GA that would help, then let them know by PM, then the guest's won't know, just that indivdual.

That bolt you can't get out must be the top one on the starter, if you take a long extension so it's past the end of the starter, then you can put a breaker on it.

Last edited:

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is quite a few guys in GA on the OB, but most all post on the 6.9 7.3 forum. If you would post over there, maybe some one would live close to you and help out, bunch of good guys on here that might be willing. You would have to divulge your location tho.
Just ask if anyone is in GA that would help, then let them know by PM, then the guest's won't know, just that indivdual.

That bolt you can't get out must be the top one on the starter, if you take a long extension so it's past the end of the starter, then you can put a breaker on it.

Actually it was the very bottom bolt I could not loosen, will post on the other forum and see if I can get some help here in Ga , if not my mechanic will take care of me, he is very honest and I trust him, but I would like to get this done on my own.

Lockedhearts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's All Good, sent to Mechanic, got it running, sent to tranny shop to replace EPC solenoid, drives like a champ!