94' F350 w/ 7.3 K engine - anyone own one ?

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Anyone own a 1994 F350 CC with the original & unmodified 7.3 factory K turbo engine ?

Final assembly was in Kentucky .......

The biggest improvement and most sought after option for 1993 was the introduction of the first factory turbo option. This option was available for the two remaining years of IDI production and is significant for several reasons. From the very beginning of the 6.9 liter production, a turbocharger was considered, but the normally aspirated engine was already a $2000 option and the addition of the turbo would nearly double that figure. Many believed that the extra amount on the sticker in the mid ‘80’s would put it over the edge price wise. Luckily, companies such as Gale Banks Engineering, Advanced Turbo Systems (ATS), and Hypermax saw this as an opportunity. ATS was chosen as the turbo system provider for the new factory turbo option and Ford/Navistar implemented other engine upgrades to compliment the addition of the turbo. Trucks equipped with this engine option can be identified by the small “Turbo Diesel” emblem under the F250/350 front fender badges.

The additional engine changes are as follows:

Cylinder head gasket heavier ring and armor wrap

Increased wrist pin bore on connecting rods

Larger wrist pin

Anodized piston head

Keystone design top and intermediate piston rings

Increased number of oil passages in oil cooler (30 fin/inch vs. 24 on NA)

Turbo specific flywheel

Turbo specific vibration dampener

Turbo injector pump

Turbo injectors

Modified injector fuel return line routing

Modified E4OD dipstick

Modified E4OD turbo micro processor

Turbo specific cooling fan clutch

Lower restriction exhaust

Additionally, the truck received a slotted front bumper and an air dam below the radiator. These improvements conservatively raised the power output to 185hp and 360ft/lbs of torque. These numbers are believed to be under-inflated so as not to downplay the mid year introduction of the new diesel engine.

Jim

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had 2 of them.94 f super duty and a 94 f350.the SD also had the turbo diesel emblem under the super duty emblem

idipwr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered my 94 in the fall of 93 and took delivery in feb of 94. And yes the 93 in my sig I sold had that motor as well.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Rich ....

Any problems with either engine ?

Jim

The super duty had it replaced at 200,000 miles.I bought it with 240,000.sold it with 340,000 on it.only problem I had besides ip and injectors every year was it had a skip I couldn't track down.I think when they did the emissions test on it they bent a couple valves.ran fine with awesome fuel mileage before the test.skipped with horrible fuel mileage after.loved it always started.never plugged it in, didn't have a block heater.I honestly had very few problems with that truck.

Although I do like the psd much better.id snatch up an idi if one came around.

RANOVRU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the ratings were 190/395 for the turbo IDIs and 185/366 for the non-turbos.

I think anyone in their right mind could tell those #s were underrated. Turbo (plus all of the enhanced supporting mods I was unaware of until the OPs article) = +5hp LOL!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I believe the stock numbers. A stock 93/95 factory turbo truck were NOTHING to rave about. A lil turn of the fuel screw made a world of difference. That and doing away with the factory turbo outlet and DP too

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Hope I'm not hijacking :eek: I knew about the other differences mentioned, but I had no idea these things were different/upgraded. I'd like to find the upgraded oil cooler ;Sweet Does anyone have any specs on the fan clutch?

Anodized piston head

Turbo specific flywheel

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Fan clutch looks the same .....

Hope I'm not hijacking :eek: I knew about the other differences mentioned, but I had no idea these things were different/upgraded. I'd like to find the upgraded oil cooler ;Sweet Does anyone have any specs on the fan clutch?

Anodized piston head

Turbo specific flywheel

Fan & clutch look to be the same ....

Jim

ADV

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1993 F350 CC with a factory turbo. When I bought it I was told it had a bad cylinder. I had the truck running long enough to drive it into the shop so maybe all of about 2 or 3 min. I don't know about a bad cylinder but I know it has rust hole in the oil cooler and pushed out almost all of the oil in my drive way and in the shop in the few minuets I had it running. I am now in the process of putting a NA 7.3 engine in it.

Attachments

• 1227110954a.jpg
    1227110954a.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 1219111130a.jpg
    1219111130a.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 11

George D.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 350 cclb used to have the factory turbo 7.3 then the block seal the po put in gave out and I lost the motor to cavitation now it has a low milage 6.9 with the turbo 7.3 dressings