94 E40d questions

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm picking up a 94 project truck that has a 351m and E40d and 4x4
It ran when parked ( no reason to fib, I'm getting it for free ) but had seriously high miles for a gas burner.
I 'm going to swap out some good body parts with my truck and make a mud whomper out of this thing

Question is, how much input does that E40d need from the engine? Does it require interfacing with the engine computer on the gas burners or is the tranny computer a seperate entity?

Reason asking is, the EFI may be a major disaster, and I might just want to stick a carbureter on the thing. It's going to be a trailer queen so I don't have to worry about street legal ( wouldn't have to worry about inspections in this state anyway )I may want to go nuts on the thing, but I don't want to put myself in a position of not being able to run the tranny.

Thanks---------Robert

discbrks

Reaction score
Are you sure that it has a 351m? Probably a 351w... you could pull out the E4OD and stick in a C6. That would be a lot stronger & cheaper too.

But to answer your question... I dunno... but I'll find out for ya.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was told it's a 351m, I don't have it home yet, It'll be here in about a week to poke around. But this guy is a real ford fan and the truck was a bit of an oddball, it was a special speced company fleet truck

I didn't check to see if the transfer case was divorced or not. What would normally go in one of those? Would an attached e40d transfer case bolt to a C6? If it would I might get real tempted to throw some fresh rings in a spare 7.3 diesel I have and I have a C6 for it as well

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
itll be a 351W and it could be rollar cam ready, C4FE on the block means it is. if it is, its worth some $$ to the right person. transfer case is on the back of the trans, the transfer case should swap over between the two.

to get the E4OD to work with a carb'd engine u will need a stand alone trans controller. i forget who makes one, but they are $$.

if ur gunna make it a mud truck i would go with a carb, C6 and BW13-56 and maybe even a solid axle swap or even one tons depending how serious u wanna get.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
itll be a 351W and it could be rollar cam ready, C4FE on the block means it is. if it is, its worth some $$ to the right person. transfer case is on the back of the trans, the transfer case should swap over between the two.

to get the E4OD to work with a carb'd engine u will need a stand alone trans controller. i forget who makes one, but they are $$.

if ur gunna make it a mud truck i would go with a carb, C6 and BW13-56 and maybe even a solid axle swap or even one tons depending how serious u wanna get.

I don't want to get too serious with it, just slap it together enough to have some fun. a nearby speed shop usually has some good deals on used manifolds and carbs so it wouldn't be a high ticket investment for that part, but I'll have to look into that trans controller , It might tip the scales toward straightening out the stock stuff for now.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
EEOUCH! those tranny controllers are about $550 with the cable :eek:
I can scour the boneyard for all the factory EFI goodies I need for a tiny fraction of that. Looks like I'll be staying stock or switching to the diesel with the c6.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Whats wrong with the efi? Parts missing? Harness cut?

Looked like some parts were missing and there had been a small fire at the back of the engine where a tranny seal cut loose and the fluid caught fire, but it was put out with an extinguisher. The thing was driven after that though ( the guy I'm getting it from lives WAY out and he got it and drove it home). I do expect to find some harness damage, and he'd been scavanging some parts for his other truck so I don't know how much is missing for sure yet.