92 shuttle bus 7.3 n/a

rocklefty19

Reaction score
I have a 92 E-350 30 ft shuttle bus I'm using to pull my racecar trailer and store all my parts and tools in. It has a 7.3 n/a with E4od and it is weak. I havent had it long but I put 3 inch after the y-pipe to a turn out and a new air filter and changed the oil and added coolant additive. I was told to turn the fuel up on it, keep in mind this thing never once has offered to puff the least amount of black smoke no matter what. any help at all would be nice on cheap safe ways to get just a little more power out of it. she weighs 9,500 lbs and has 235-85-16 with 4:10 gears.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
How many miles does it have? May need a fuel system refresh, but before you turn it up get an EGT gauge, these motors have enough fuel to get too hot already when towing.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a turbo on it. Heard it's ***** to install on a Van.

I put a turbo on my 92 and I can spin the 235's, but it's a dually tho no where near 9500.

rocklefty19

Reaction score
It has 160k but with a lot of idel time. Not looking to spend a whole lot so a turbo is probably a no can do. She just needs a little more help.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has 160k but with a lot of idel time. Not looking to spend a whole lot so a turbo is probably a no can do. She just needs a little more help.
If the fuel system's original, it almost definitely should be renewed. You can also turn the fuel up...there are a few how-to's around. With that said, an EGT gauge is a MUST!! ...especially with a 9500 lb tow vehicle with the weight of a trailer added to it. It wouldn't be too hard to melt it down if you're not careful even with stock fuel settings...and modifying the fuel will only make that worse.

Also, FWIW, a turbo would really help things...I know you aren't looking to spend much, but if you keep your eyes open, you should be able to find a used turbo kit for less than $1,000...for that matter, there have been a couple of kits floating around in the $300 range :shocked: (but, more realistically, I would expect to spend between $500 and $800)

Get some pics of the bus :D and welcome aboard!!

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok what all is replaced in a fuel system freshening i'm new to diesels so help is greatly appreciated. also how far down can i put the egt probe on the exhaust? i know on my racecar i have it as close to the head as possible but on the bus that is not an option.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok what all is replaced in a fuel system freshening i'm new to diesels so help is greatly appreciated. also how far down can i put the egt probe on the exhaust? i know on my racecar i have it as close to the head as possible but on the bus that is not an option.
The fuel injector pump and the fuel injectors, mainly. You will also want a fuel return line kit (often called an "injector installation kit"), and you'll want to be prepared to have the injector pump properly timed (either by a shop or by a nearby member, depending on your location).

I would recommend taking a look at both of these articles:

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7597

http://oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3217

As to the EGT probe, people have safely drilled and tapped a hole in the exhaust manifold...I thought there was space to do so on a van (and, with the doghouse removed, it might actually be easier), but it's been a while since I've worked on one (and a '92+ van may be different in any event). I'm not sure how far back is too far, but you really want it to be as close to the cylinder head as possible...the further back you go, the less accurate your reading will be. I would CERTAINLY not go behind the exhaust Y...

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok, i read the articles and appreciate the help but I dont see me having the time or confidence to tackle the injection pump and injectors. I was thinking of this route let me know if it will help any. making a ram air out of my existing breather since my bus does not have A/C and I have a place to run the tube, dual electric fans, and changing the tire size to give more bottom end I do not need top speed if it will run 65 im happy I just want it to run 65 or close to it most of the time there are hills right now that im doing 25 up. Also I have a question my bus smokes a little blue/black at idle until it is warmed up then it its faint at idle and looks blue/white. Also im in central ky anyone around here know were I could take it to get the fuel system done and how much this usually costs. Thanks its almost race season I need to get her ready.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
That smoke is most likely do to a tired worn out fuel system.

Blue can also just be a dirty CDR. Remove it and clean it. Just soak it in gasoline for a couple hours and once in a while during that time, take it out, shake it well and dump it back in.

Doing injectors ain't that bad on these vans, I don't know about the 92+ ones, but it wasn't that bad on my '87 camper.

I've had to do my Injector Pump also, but that I brought it at a friend of mine at an International Dealer, no way I was doing that on a van, especially not for my first time. Doing the head gaskets was enough for me!

You must be registered for see images attach

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok what is a CDR? and what it is that im taking out of it? if i go to replace the inectors can you just take the lines loose from the injectors or does the whole rail need to come out? also will i notice any power gains from the mods i spoke of earlier?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
CDR (Crankcase Depression Regulator) is the exact same thing as a PCV valve on a gas engine, and does the same job. You'll be cleaning out oil deposits out of it.

Opening up the air flow as you said earlier will defenently help, but won't make any big differents compared to doing a tune up.

I must warn you though, doing only injectors could end up killing the old IP and you'll have to change it anyways.

That's what happened to me on my motorhome. I changed out the original injectors before even hitting 100k miles and not long after the IP died. After having a new IP and new injectors, WOW made a HUGE difference in power and performance!

On my F250 Diesel, i've been through 2 sets of injectors, and the original IP is still going good. So it depends.

But if you want to restore full power to that bus, you'll have to do a complete tune up!

rocklefty19

Reaction score
ok thanks, how much am I looking at for the needed parts and also maybe labor? After looking it over I know I could do the injectors but the pump im not so sure. Also do you think by eliminating the clutch fan will free up any noticeable hp?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Depending where you get the parts from, IP is around ~350-450$ and 8 injectors is around ~150$ and as for labor, no idea what it would be in the U.S for an IP job.

Someone else will chime in for that.

I've heard of some converting to Electric fans, and did notice a very small difference, personally I wouldn't bother with it, but it's up to you.

I just installed a brand new clutch fan in my motorhome last year and I love it!

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
Yep, fresh Injectors, fresh & properly timed IP, and a return line kit. I think Pensacola sells reman injectors for $108 / set of 8. They also sell IP's. Do this and you won't even know you're driving the same rig, cause you'll have so much more power and snap to the throttle.

As far as the clutch fan, you have overdrive, so your rpm's at cruising speed are low. Which means the fan ain't robbing hardly any power

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger