92 6.2 TH700-R4 sluggish shifts

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Truck has 150k on the clock and it overheated and burped fluid.
Fluid looked and smelled just like Navy coffee.

First to second shift are soft and slugginsh. Remainder of the gears shift firmer.

IP had been swapped a few years back and not sure the TPS(FILP for us Ford nuts) was set back properly and my books stop at the 91's.-cuss

I'm needing the settings for it and anything else that I may be looking at.

I know the clutch packs are not far from the end of their lives but the owner doesn't have the coin for a reman right now and he's wanting just a fluid flush and filter change since he had it done 15k ago but he shop that did it is full of dirtbags and know to skimp things.cookoo

Last edited:

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Make sure the TV (kickdown) cable is adjusted properly.

With engine off, there should be a tab on the cable near the IP. Push it in with a screwdriver and go WOT with the tab pushed in. Back off 1/4" and realease the tab.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And change that fluid! If it's anything like military coffee, it's not only burnt it's got unknown qualities that will undo you if you keep it running like that.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
And change that fluid! If it's anything like military coffee, it's not only burnt it's got unknown qualities that will undo you if you keep it running like that.

Yeah being with the "Bees" that coffee could be used to strip paint off vehicles.LOL

Flushing that fluid out was the first thing done and 5 gallons later it looked and smelled much better but I still smell that burnt fluid smell.:puke:

I even added on a 10x15 trans cooler to help prolong it's death since the owner tows a fiver and no extra trans cooler had been added!!!:eek:

Tonight I'll check adjustments and take it for a spin.

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Somthing Ive used with good results in my personal and other peoples vehicles is ATC+ Automatic transmission conditioner by BG products. It conditions the fluid and says it helps with shifting. Dont know if there is much else you can do for it outside the vehicle.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally? After working for oil companies and doing research (and listening to the old farts who actually know something...) I generally add some Kerosene and isopropyl alcohol before I do my changes, it seems to clean everything out nicely. Then I do a cheapo change using a decent ATF, then drop that and go for a nice synthetic eventually after you figure you have all the gunk out. Works for me. I use synthetic in everything, including my coffee. It reminds me of the USAF, playing with toys in the field.

Ahhh, yummy!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Well after a good thorough flushing and a TV adjustment she's ready to roll back ou the road till she finishes eating up the the rest of the friction aterial, but now she'll be cooler with the secondary trans cooler.;Sweet

DaveD

Reaction score
Ron did me a solid on getting this thing back up and running that's for sure! Yeah, I know it should have had a tranny cooler on it, but, it doesn't tow that often. I just need to get a turbo on this thing, a reman tranny after the 'ole tax return arrives and then.....learn to be more patient when towing. Thanks Ron!

Dsl_Dog_Treat

Reaction score
Ron did me a solid on getting this thing back up and running that's for sure! Yeah, I know it should have had a tranny cooler on it, but, it doesn't tow that often. I just need to get a turbo on this thing, a reman tranny after the 'ole tax return arrives and then.....learn to be more patient when towing. Thanks Ron!

;Sweet

Stop letting the "OTHER" Dave drive it ya doughnut eater. LOL

Yer in good hands young grasshopper.

At least that Chevy left the yard last night.-cuss

That 454 class A coach repair turned sour AGAIN last night.

For the second time filling the cooling system back up last night at midnight I discovered ANOTHER frickin water leak.

The remaned water pump was leaking like a sieve. Looks like it's got a few cracks in it and that's a 7 hour 12 pack job start to finish to R/R that water pump.-cuss-cuss-cuss

I set down on my step stool, cracked a cold one open and watched the coolant run off the motor and back down into my pan.....Well at least when the 50 mph winds died down.cookoocookoo

Back to blue Oval stuff tonight.:D

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kidding! After I had my first 700R4 replaced under warranty by the local GMC dealer, it died withing a month. Turns out that the moron who replaced the tranny forgot to fluch out the external cooler which had been plugged tight with debris, and I didn't do any heavy towing either. After picking up the truck from another GMC stealer, the adjustments were all off and the wires to the tranny had been pulled apart and bullet connectors held them together. I was PISSED! And the dealer wouldn't do anything since the tech had "gone home for the day". So in the rain I set everything up, left the window open to the rental and made a few calls to the BBB and GM after installing a HUGE cooler. I never had a problem since and I've made some heavy hauls across country a few times. And on the farm.

Sorry I got off track, but my point is that the 700s are pretty tough units. A far cry better than the one that came in my dad's, and now my, brand new '82 suburban. That got replaced not long after, and an update came a few years later in the form of a recall I believe. But ever since then, they've been good trannys if you take care of them. Granted, my 89 GMC 1500 has gone through a few, but in my defense I bought it used from someone who beat the crap our of the drivetrain and the tranny went in a matter of weeks. That was sent by the car lot to a very good and reputable auto transmission shop. Well, it must have been a Friday job by the 12 year old niece of the owner because it went a few years later and I took it easy on the truck at that time. That's when I ran into the fun with the dealers.

Now, I have an extended pan on it which affords me two extra quarts of the synthetic ATF I put in. I run synthetic everywhere, it's cheap insurance, can take the heat, and the cold. Oh, and always get the largest cooler you can fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726