911 DIESEL DOWN!!!!

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok yesterday my truck started to sputter for about 5 seconds then it smoothed out...i didnt think too much of it cause it does that about 3-4 times a year....well i started it up tonight and about 30 second of driving it started again but it didnt go away...it will barely even let me start out in first gear....it seems like its only running on 1/2 the cylinders....i shut it off and started it a few times and and it went away....so i go to leave about an hour later ad it does it again....it doesnt do it until about 1 second after it starts.....it also does it when im in the pedal....when i let off and keep it in gear it sounds fine....***?????...im thinking that its the wiring that goes through the valve covers....but why would it only work sporatically.....any ideas are welcome....i think im gonna try unpluging each injector one at a time.....any feedback is helpful....

.....i guess the only up side is that it sounds like its got a huge cam in it....:rolleyes:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apply the KISS principle. Start with checking the fuel filter, check fuel pressure, loose electrical connectors, continuity tests on the UVC harness, etc....... before throwing part$$$$$ at it hoping it will fix it.

Sounds to me like a plugged fuel filter or a fuel pump that's dying a slow death. Of course it could be the HPOP, IPR valve, CMP etc.......too

im thinking that its the wiring that goes through the valve covers....but why would it only work sporatically

If it is the UVC harness or the connectors it could be a loose connection, burnt pin, or a broken wire that occasionally makes or breaks contact. It's called an intermittant problem and is a real PITA to zero in on because you have to catch it when it's doing it which never happens while you are trying to diagnose it.-cuss

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Well, considering your handle :D ;p when was the last time you ....or how many times have you had to ****** off the engine/chassis ?

I believe it is most likely electrical related....IDM/plug, UVC etc....
but definatly apply the KISS principle ;Sweet and keep us posted :D

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright the verdict is in.....i melted one of the wires on the drivers side injector plug....fords got the gasket and harness in stock and im gonna get it tomorrow morning....my buddy who works for ford hooked it up to a scan tool and it read that there was a weak signal to the #6 injector....he said it was probly the injector because the individual test of the injector solenoid was clicking when tested on each one....but that didnt seem right to me....just because of what the scan tool said....so i pulled it apart and almost jumped for joy when i saw the wires were melted cause i really didnt want to put a new injector in especially when i plan on doing stage 2's this summer...

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright the verdict is in.....i melted one of the wires on the drivers side injector plug....fords got the gasket and harness in stock and im gonna get it tomorrow morning....my buddy who works for ford hooked it up to a scan tool and it read that there was a weak signal to the #6 injector....he said it was probly the injector because the individual test of the injector solenoid was clicking when tested on each one....but that didnt seem right to me....just because of what the scan tool said....so i pulled it apart and almost jumped for joy when i saw the wires were melted cause i really didnt want to put a new injector in especially when i plan on doing stage 2's this summer...

;Sweet Glad you found the problem however you might want to get him to check the injector when you install the harness before you button it up or fire it up in case the injector solenoid is fried so you don't melt another harness. Especially if it doesn't cost you to get a buddy to check it.

It would schuck to put it back together only to have to redo it. My .02