'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

fsmyth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you rough it up somehow. 60-grit sandpaper or coarse wire brush.
And make sure it is CLEAN.
J-B will work very well, as long as there is no movement (twisting, flexing).
Otherwise, use fiberglass with a mat.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Got a pic of the crack?
Shouldn't be that hard to weld. Could probably get something to mig it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a pic of the crack?
Shouldn't be that hard to weld. Could probably get something to mig it.

Here is the best I could get last night... The crack starts in the deepest part of that webbed area.
You must be registered for see images attach

If I had a spool gun, I might be able to do it... but I'd be doing it blind since it goes so deep into the webbing. I might just have to get a spool gun ordered and try it. I've been wanting to get one for a while anyways... Could lay a few passes over it and then epoxy it just to give it some strength back...

I'll see if I can find one.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If it was mine, I wouldn't be afraid to cut the webbing, get in there to bevel it, and go to town. If worried about strength, get another piece of aluminum as a brace and burn er in.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine, I wouldn't be afraid to cut the webbing, get in there to bevel it, and go to town. If worried about strength, get another piece of aluminum as a brace and burn er in.

Just priced a spool gun for my miller 210... Ouch.. Lol

Ive got a friend that has a good bit of aluminum fab under his belt... I'll give him a call and see if he can do it in the truck or not.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes. I have no idea why but the spool gun for my Hobart is about as much as I paid for the welder. :rolleyes:

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.. Mine isnt quite that bad... but bad enough. Spool gun for this one is 650 and the welder was just under double that.. but for 650, I can buy a new housing and rebuild it myself.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yep, definitely pricey. If you did aluminum even on occasion, it would pay off.
Mig Aluminum is some of the weirdest stuff I've ever played with. I'll stick with tig. Or maybe play with stickin it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drain tra.s...Clean case sand it apply coats of seal all...should be golden

Works for fuel tanks with gas in em......

JN7.3CW

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I found the case of the crack anyways... The front drive shaft was F'ed (CV is all but gone) and the kids that had it before me were pull starting it all the time in 4 low... crack is on driverside. I'd say massive vibration/shock loading from pull starting did it in.

Talked to my buddy and he said without pulling it and getting it apart, he couldn't do it.

Epoxy it is. I'll try to get it sealed up tonight and let it cure for a few days before putting fluid back in it. We'll see.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a good used unit or even just the rear housing. I just hope I can get the leak sorted.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seen those the day I found out it was cracked. I've seen complete transmissions in my area go for $400... so I'll just keep my eyes open for the time being.

Anyways, had a bit after work so I started cleaning up the damaged area...

Drained the trans, 1.5 cans of brake clean, some emery cloth and a stainless tooth brush...

1/2 of an "Industrial" package of JB Weld later...

All of the large ribbing seemed to be fine with no damage so I'm thinking if this seals up, it should be fine for a good while giving me time to track down a good used unit for a reasonable price... and give my wallet time to recoup from the cylinder head job and new radiator.

Other then this, the truck drives pretty good. I'm hunting down a steering column and will be installing a firewall brace soon. It also needs some brake work but nothing major. If my seal job works out, I'm going to try and paint it over the weekend as the wife is going on a shopping trip with friends so I don't have a deadline to be back in the house... lol

More to come.. debating on if I should wait 24 or 48 hours before refilling the trans... I also have more JB weld if it needs a second coat.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you think caused the cracks? I think jb was definitely the way to tackle that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7