'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress...

Received my VDO Pyro (not very happy with it... rather laggy response but I'll figure that out later..) So I decided to work on mounting my overhead console.

Started cutting up the stock mount setup...
You must be registered for see images attach

Some 1/8" flat bar...

Drilled a hole under the center cab light and welded a bolt in place...

Testing fitment..

Not bad...

I since pulled it back down (the outer shell anyways) to fit my gauges. I plan on painting it black once I get all the holes cut for my new rocker switches and the other gauge. Pyro, boost, and aux. fuel level will be going up there.

Got the pyro probe installed...

Got it wired up and laid it on the dash for the time being as it was too dark to run wiring. With the thermocouple that came with it, the gauge is laggy. Its response is slow by a few seconds which really isnt a big deal but would like the instant response that my autometer pryo has that is in my Tahoe. I have a message in to the company to see if they have a solution.

I also received my 9" led bars that I'm going to reverse mount on the headache rack for work/reverse lights. I haven't mounted them yet but I tested them and they are BRIGHT!

Anywho... more to come as time allows.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Looks like where I put my thermocouple. I have yet to run the engine with my ISSPRO pyrometer. Does the needle on yours just move up to temp slowly as you rev?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lowest reading on the gauge is 250 (VDO Vision Series) so at idle, its bottomed out. While driving, as I take off, I can go to half throttle and a few seconds will pass before the gauge will come up. Its apparently a common complaint with this specific gauge... wish I would have known before hand.

My autometer is instant (almost tachometer like response). Hopefully they have a way to correct it otherwise I'll be selling it and getting an Isspro or autometer.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Hopefully within the next few weeks I can give a decent review on the ISSPRO. I initially went with Stewart Warner since PACCAR (Kenworth and Peterbuilt) has historically used them, but after talking to their tech department I found they also make ISSPRO (which PACCAR also uses).

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Painted the tool box and mounted my work lights... waiting for it to get dark to see how bright they are.

Currently have them wired to the reverse light switch but may change that down the road... I'll post a picture of their output after it gets dark.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Tractor supply and northern tool have some for decent prices. Northern are rigid, tsc are traveller. Probably same light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Just a heads up, the cheapos throw out a TON of RF interface. That's why I put my two 6 LED bars at the back of the cab. So if you get ones for the front, wait until you can afford the expensive ones, unless you don't listen to the radio/use a CB.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. I didn't want any on the front of the cab but was planning on one slightly bigger one for the front brush guard/bumper. Think it would cause an issue there?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Oh yeah. I drove by a utility truck one day that had some cheap amber ones on it and within a 20 foot radius of his truck the radio was hard static. I used to have mine mounted on top of the front bumper and could never listen to the radio with them on.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh... I'll keep that in mind.

Well here are some output shots... I'm impressed to say the least.

Might need to put a relay on the reverse light circuit. The wiring isn't getting hot or anything but not sure how much juice that switch is rated for.

Now just have to sort out the front hubs so I can get my brakes put on and I'll be a happy camper.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad this wasn't a pain or anything...

Inner portion of lock-out was seized to the stub axle. Had to drill it front to back on both sides and split it with a chisel. (All snap rings that held the gear in place were removed).

Anyways.. IF I can get the other side apart without too much hassle, perhaps I'll get to install the new brakes Ive got sitting in the shop. For the time being, I put the outer part of the lockout back in place and bolted the cap back on so it doesn't sling grease everywhere. I'll have to track down some good used ones in the future or pony up for some Warn Premiums... hmmm...

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LEDs do not use a lot of current, BUT I would use a relay to power them.

Dave

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the plan.

Made a bit of progress today. Plumbed the aux. tank with the manual 3 port valves...

Purged the air out of the system and took it for a drive. Got it up to temp and switched over to some home brew and it never missed a beat... Switched the supply a couple miles from home and then switched the return a bit closer as to keep from mixing oil in the main tank. Maybe this thing can finally start paying me back for all the headache. Lol

I do have a slight leak I have to fix on top of my aux. fuel tank. Someone at some point added a drum bung to it and they didn't do it very well so any time I'm parked on uneven ground, it will leak from the base of the bung. I'm wanting to add a universal sender to the tank so I may just cut out the bung and make a plate to cover it that would also house the sending unit. 2 birds with 1 stone.

Anyways... little by little its getting there. May have found a transmission for a decent price tonight too.

More to come.