'90 F350 Crewcab 4x4 "BFTD" Project..

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More progress... slowly but surely...

The other day, I was a bit concerned with the harsh rattle this engine had when started cold (no glow plugs, no cold advance or high idle). I finally got around to putting the meter on it and it was running at 16 deg. advance. Might explain the rattle... lol

I backed that down to 8.5 at 2k rpm... set idle rpm to 750 and now it sounds great. No excessive rattle when cold and sounds much nicer when warm.

I hung some of the exhaust tonight. Truck is LOUD! Lol... Comes down from the Y pipe to an adapter up to 4". No muffler as I'm planning on installing my 093 kit in the very near future...

You must be registered for see images attach

Decided to take it for a quick drive down the road... completely forgot all the junk on the back until something fell off.. lol. Anyways, I still need to swap the rear tires as they are SHOT... but it didnt drive bad. Steering has a bit of play but nothing crazy and the brakes were spongy. The front soft lines are shot so those will be getting replaced before I drive it anymore. Hoping that replacing those lines and flushing/bleeding the system will take care of that. Engine runs great.. starts easy hot or cold.. no smoke or haze. With the exhaust stopping under the cab, its hard to tell how high its reving when I shift (tach sensor is junk atm). Trans shifts smooth but the clutch pedal feels funny. Pedal hangs up a bit on release which I'm thinking its the pedal assembly itself either dry or damaged and it has ~1" or so of free travel which feels excessive.

Backed it up in front of the shop as I need to fix some wiring issues with the rear lighting and get all the junk off the bed. Bed is rough.. hoping I can clean it up and salvage it with a bit of fab work.

Anyways... I found that the ONLY seal that I didn't replace is leaking... figures. After parking it, I threw a piece of cardboard under the front of the truck to see if/where I had leaks from. I've got a slight leak on the front seal (a few drips after being running 30 minutes and being parked for 10min.) but other then that, everything seems to be dry.

Hoping to get this piddly stuff done over the weekend and start cleaning/prepping for raptor liner.

It's getting there.

Gotta get the old man steps cut off... delete the brush guard or cut it down... wet sand/polish the headlight housings... lots of little stuff. Little stuff I don't mind though as the majority is just time.. not money.

More to come soon.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were you wanting to cut yours? I'm considering cutting it almost completely off flush with the bumper and leave the pushers on the front... But I can do it in sections and take pics if you want.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
That's about what I was thinking. Cutting the headlight guards off right up against the push bars. Yours looks like it's flat bar, mine is round tube with 2, two light mount boxes on either side, centered between the push bars.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean flush with the top of the bumper so it won't have anything in front of the grill. I would remove it totally but the hardware is shot and I can't get to it to cut it off.

I'll cut off the headlight guards first and post a pic to give you an idea of what it'll look like. This one is round bar.. But it's small

-edit-
Now that I'm really looking at it... I may cut it off say 4" or so above the bumper... Not sure yet. I think I'll just start cutting and stop when I like it. Lol... gotta love dgaf trucks.

Last edited:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
10 bucks that your exhaust hanger breaks :D
i usually wrap the exhaust with 1/8" strap then weld the hanger to that.
ive done as you have, and it broke everytime until i bulletproofed it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
10 bucks that your exhaust hanger breaks :D
i usually wrap the exhaust with 1/8" strap then weld the hanger to that.
ive done as you have, and it broke everytime until i bulletproofed it.

Hmm... I'll change it up. I've got the clamp on strap mounts. I'll use some of those.

Thanks

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up some goods tonight.... $50 paintjob ftw.

Matte finish and as close to camo tan as they could get it. Guys at my local hardware store are great. Going to smooth out the paint on the the truck the best I can and roll it on. A buddy of mine just did the same in a different color and gloss to his model A and it turned out SHARP... cant tell that it was rolled by the time he was done. Hopefully it'll take up to being bounced around and off objects.. we'll see.

Got the back tires changed out and got new front brake lines... going to replace those tomorrow after a trip to the scrap yard.