88' F-250 4x4 transfer case problems?

jclark23

Reaction score
I am not one to normaly post but I am stumped! The truck will not go into reverse unless it is in 4-lo. I just put a new clutch and remaned trans in today and everything else looked good and sounded good. I noticed the transfer case had a piece of metal in the bottom while draining the fluid. (I could see the piece of metal thru the drain whole.) I put it together knowing it probably wouldn't work. I was correct it would not go into reverse until I put it in 4-lo.

I also had the problem with reverse before I got a new trans. The trans had bad syncros and a bad gear so that was the reason for getting one.

Am I correct that it is possible for the transfer case to cause the truck to not to go into reverse until it is put in 4-Lo??cookoo How? Everything else is fine.

Thanks Jason

RedTruck

Reaction score
What ended up happening here?

My guess is 4-Lo somehow torques something in the tranny just right so you can slide it in reverse. Did you reuse anything off the old tranny...top cover and forks?

Paul

BTW: Welcome to the site!

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
What tranny is it? I'm assuming being an 88 it could be the ZF5. If that's the case I have no clue. If by chance it as the T19 I had that problem sometimes, never would putting it in low range make a difference, but I had to loosen the bolt that runs through the drivers side of the case, towards the rear. It's what the reverse arm pivots on. I'd loosen it and put it in and out a few times, or drive it a little, then tighten it back down. If that bolt gets loosened up too much then that reverse lever can pop out of the groove in the counter gear, then you have to pull the tower off to fix it.
Hope in someway any of that helps.

Chris

jclark23

Reaction score
Man how did this post get brought back up? I replaced the transfer case and the problem was solved. I never took apart the old one apart.

Oh and yes it was a zf5.

Jason

Wanderer-rrorc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like the cut teeth on the transfer case are worn and causing them to slip...and not engauging...happened to the wifes B2...the 4low allows the sliding gear to seat further down on the teeth and engauge...my guess..its time for a t-case..